More copy path options

Suggestions and feature requests.
mjcarman

More copy path options

#1 Post by mjcarman » 03.12.2007, 04:46

Copy path options should include DOS-style (back-slashes), Unix-style (forward-slashes), and UNC paths. You should also be able to copy the full path including filename instead of just the enclosing directory.

Fad

#2 Post by Fad » 03.12.2007, 11:54

If you right click on the small copy path button above each pane, there are more options to copy in there ....

is that the options you mean ?

mjcarman

#3 Post by mjcarman » 03.12.2007, 16:06

Ah, that does seem to be most of what I was after. The discoverability is poor, though. Users don't expect buttons to have their own context menu. It should be replaced by standard menu opened via a [v] drop-button (Like the window-splitting button on the View toolbar.)

Fad

#4 Post by Fad » 03.12.2007, 21:48

I only found that today when I looked for it...after reading about right clicking on the delete button :D

There may be all kinds of other secret tricks !

Petperm

Maybe copy path or full name to a specified file

#5 Post by Petperm » 06.12.2007, 07:48

A function to copy path or full name from a selection of multiple files to a specified file and not to the clipboard.
This way you can use this 'fileslist' directly for VBS or other batch programming.
Maybe the name of the fileslist can be specified in the settings. Or always use the last name saved?

stevei

#6 Post by stevei » 16.12.2007, 11:23

I have a request related to this, which is that when the full path is copied, there should be an option to expand the drive letter to give a path that can be used by other people. I often need to send people links to folders on shared network drives, and currently have to manually replace the drive letter in the path after pasting, and many of our servers have tricky to remember names.

E.g. if I want to copy and paste the path of F:\folderA\folderB\ I would like it to be expanded to \\servername\sharename\folderA\folderB\ so I can send it to other people who may not have the same share mapped as the same drive letter.

mjcarman

#7 Post by mjcarman » 17.12.2007, 20:31

stevei wrote:when the full path is copied, there should be an option to expand the drive letter
That's what the "UNC" menu entries do.

stevei

#8 Post by stevei » 18.12.2007, 00:45

mjcarman wrote:
stevei wrote:when the full path is copied, there should be an option to expand the drive letter
That's what the "UNC" menu entries do.
Ah! I was misunderstanding how it works!

I thought that when you right clicked, you were setting the mode which would be used from then onwards, i.e. I was right clicking and picking an option, then going to the address bar and right clicking again to choose "Copy to clipboard" thinking that it would use the method from my previous right click on the button.

But I see now that isn't how it works, and when you right click on the button it actually copies it to the clipboard at that time, and as you say, the contents of the clipboard are then how I want them. By subsequently right clicking on the address bar and choosing "Copy to clipboard" I was overwriting the correct clipboard contents with new contents that don't have the drive letter expanded.

Thanks.