Jump to and highlight files's location when favorite clicked

Suggestions and feature requests.
Kiba

Jump to and highlight files's location when favorite clicked

#1 Post by Kiba » 24.12.2012, 04:51

In the typical scenario, "bookmarks" or "favorites" are all collected together in a separate panel or toolbar. If you click on the bookmark, you open its FILE and you never see the corresponding position of that file within its parent folder.

I am trying to find a way so that when I click on a bookmark, the folder display (or a separate tab) will jump to the parent folder of the bookmarked file, WITH THAT FILE HIGHLIGHTED.

Here's an example application: If I have a large number of video or audio files and I'm working through them sequentially, I would like to have a way to bookmark where I left off. That way, later on, even days later when the computer has been turned on and off several times and/or I've watched other videos or listened to other audio files, I won't have to scroll through a long file list, trying to remember and find where I had stopped my sequential progress. Simple most-recently-used lists would not help, since I may do enough other things between my stopping and my resuming that that bit of history may already have scrolled off the list. If there were some kind of option either to have a click on a bookmark take me to the file's location within its parent folder or for bookmarked files to be highlighted a special way when I scroll though a folder containing bookmarked files, it would make things a lot easier.

I tried searching the forum, but didn't find anything that fit the above description. Then again, it is very possible that FC already has a suitable feature but I just didn't use the right combination of search keywords to find it.

IS there such a feature already in FC? If not, would you please add it?

Thank you.

ralfso

Re: Jump to and highlight files's location when favorite cli

#2 Post by ralfso » 24.12.2012, 09:57

In FCXE Shift & Click on file-entry in favorites tree opens containing folder with highlighted file in active pane.
Regards
Ralf

Win10 (64-bit), Intel i7-2600 (3,4 GHz), 8 GB Ram, 500 GB SSD, 2x2000 GB HD, NVIDIA GeForce 545

Kiba

#3 Post by Kiba » 24.12.2012, 16:02

That would be perfect. Unfortunately, when I just tried it, nothing at all happened. The FC I downloaded was FCXE and that was just minutes before posting my message, so it's up to date (unless there's been a big change since last night): version 0.0.0.609. I'm using Windows 7 Ultimate, if that makes any difference. Is there, perhaps, some option I must set, within FCXE, for your suggested key sequence to work?

Thanks again!

ralfso

#4 Post by ralfso » 24.12.2012, 17:52

I tried a fresh downloaded 609 public portable version.
I placed a file link in favorites tree and - you're right - the favorites item doesn't react on clicks.

But you can set Tools >>> Settings >>> Tree >>> Management >>> Open favorites with single click (last entry)

Then Leftclick is opening the file, Shift Leftclick is opening the containing folder with highlighted file.

(in version 611 donor the normal click is working OK, so maybe wait for next public version)
Regards
Ralf

Win10 (64-bit), Intel i7-2600 (3,4 GHz), 8 GB Ram, 500 GB SSD, 2x2000 GB HD, NVIDIA GeForce 545

Kiba

#5 Post by Kiba » 26.12.2012, 20:28

Merry Christmas and thank you for your reply.

Got it, but it was a little odd, at first. Initially, after trying the setting you suggested, the Shift+Left-click DID open the containing folder in a new tab, but it did NOT highlight the bookmarked file.

On a whim, I decided to see what would happen if I tried the List or Thumbnail views, rather than the Detail view that I usually prefer. It worked perfectly in those, so I switched back to the detail view and tried it there, again, and then it DID work. Thus, there seems to be a minor bug with getting that particular feature or setting to take effect if you apply it while initially in Detail view, but it DOES work - even in Detail view - if you apply the setting in the List or Thumbnail view.

My ultimate ideal would be something that would automatically show ALL bookmarked files with a specially defined, color highlight just by my browsing through a folder that contains bookmarked files (they ARE, after all, marked for a reason - but more as placeholders within the folder, rather than for immediate launching).

At least, even without the ideal and without 611, this solution WILL work well enough with 609 (not sure on the regular FC).

Thank you, very much, again!