New user of beta version

Discussion and questions - donor version.
mariuszsw

New user of beta version

#1 Post by mariuszsw » 09.05.2010, 11:51

Hi!
I am testing new version of freecommander_prealfa and I have say, that I am very much disappointed. I can understand, that performance issues are strictly connected to just the fact, that this is beta version - it has to have some problems. Much more I am concerned about the new approach to functionalities. I work a lots with network drives. In stable version I can see all drives, even though they are not connected. But clicking on them just connects them and I can use them. In beta vesrsion if drive is not connected it is not shown on the drive bar. I have to go to windows explorer to connect it then it shows on the drive bar. I have to say - this is very wrong.
Another thing - I dont know why but when I have my openVPN connection open an some remote folders open, freecommander (beta) freezes for 2 minutes each 2 or 3 minuts. It looks like it is checking someting becouse while it is frozen it generates heavy network traffic.
Anyway - stable version doesn't do such thing. This is something that prevents me from further testing, simply becouse it makes beta version unusable for me. So, Mr. Marek Jasinski - thank you for Freecommander stable - I use it and it is OK. I hope you will be able to work on new version, and I will have the possibility to enjoy it. But as for now, and for me - beta version is pretty much early alpha.

Cheers,

joby_toss

Re: New user of beta version

#2 Post by joby_toss » 09.05.2010, 17:59

Why do you insist on calling version 2010 as being beta?
Marek clearly made it available as pre-alfa ( the name of the package is in fact "FreeCommander2010prealfa").
It is going to be better than the 2009 version, I'm sure! Just a little patience... :)

b-sonic

#3 Post by b-sonic » 09.05.2010, 18:39

some people should first read and turn their brain on before they post such silly things.

How can anyone complain that a pre-alfa is a pre-alfa and not a beta? :lol:

mariuszsw

#4 Post by mariuszsw » 18.05.2010, 22:20

Calm down before you spit on me.
I call it beta, becouse author calls it like this even though he named a *file* prealfa. This is *beta* forum, it is written that after you send a donation you will get an access to *beta* version etc.
But, of course you are correct - the installation file is named as "pre-alpha"

But this is one thing. Another thing is, that you completely misunderstand my post. It was rather a "thank you" post plus "if you want my opinion about the testing software that you gave me access to, then I tell you that ....", rather then a "complain" post.

I never complain about free software. What I can do is to give my opinion if somebody cares. Like this that in Windows 7 x64 Freecommander works terrible. But I still admire the work of the author becouse in WinXP it is something much better for me then for example DirectoryOpus which costs 80 AUD and is free. But if somebody doesn't care - why be angry? This is forum for exchanging opinions and suggestions. If you don't like mine then ban me. I don't care.

Cheers,
Mariusz

Marek
Author
Author

#5 Post by Marek » 18.05.2010, 23:16

Mariusz,

thanks for your comments about prealfa version.
I work a lots with network drives. In stable version I can see all drives, even though they are not connected. But clicking on them just connects them and I can use them.
Fixed for the next build.
I have my openVPN connection open an some remote folders open, freecommander (beta) freezes for 2 minutes each 2 or 3 minuts. It looks like it is checking someting becouse while it is frozen it generates heavy network traffic.
How long need the explorer for the operation? Try to open the folder in the list view mode (not the details).
I plan to make the loading operation in the background.
Like this that in Windows 7 x64 Freecommander works terrible.
You mean 2009.02a or the prealfa? I use both versions with Win7 x64 without problems. Maybe you could write why FC "works terrible"?

mariuszsw

#6 Post by mariuszsw » 19.05.2010, 07:14

Marek wrote:Mariusz,
Like this that in Windows 7 x64 Freecommander works terrible.
You mean 2009.02a or the prealfa? I use both versions with Win7 x64 without problems. Maybe you could write why FC "works terrible"?
I am sorry for using to strong words, maybe. I do not intend to offend anybody.
Difficulties in Windows 7 64bit (I didn't encountered it in WindowsXP, thats why I connect it with my current OS) are:
- no shell menu integration. I mean, In Windows XP right click on directory/file brings up menu with all the commands that I have in Windows Explorer. In Windows 7 64bit - no. For example 7-zip which I use. In Windows Explorer it is integrated to right-click menu. But right click in FC shows no 7-zip specific functions.
- sometimes FC just refuses to open/launch a file/programm. You may click and nothig happens
- sometimes FC just refuses drag&drop. I mean, you can't "catch" a file with LMB to drag it.
And one more thing, which I actually can not say how it was in WindosXP becouse I hadn't noticed it - sorting of the list of files.
I think I had no problems with that in WinXP, but I can not guarantee. This is about sorting the list of files which names are numbers.
To give you a picture if you have files 001.xls, 003.xls, 005.xls, 024.xls, 033.xls, 121.xls, 122.xls, 1150.xls, 1244.xls
For me expected sorting of the file list is:

Code: Select all

001.xls, 
003.xls, 
005.xls, 
024.xls, 
033.xls, 
121.xls, 
122.xls
1150.xls
1244.xls
FC gives:

Code: Select all

001.xls, 
003.xls, 
005.xls, 
024.xls, 
033.xls,
1150.xls,
1244.xls 
121.xls, 
122.xls

Those are things that makes things complicated (I can use FC, but if I want to archive something I have to open WIndows Explorer).
But basically, I used to strong words. Word "unusable" is not true, and I am sorry about that.
It should be said: If I would met FC for the first time ever in Windows 7 64bit I would probably not continue to use it. Now I used to it so much, that even though some difficulties are present, I use it still.

Marek
Author
Author

#7 Post by Marek » 19.05.2010, 21:01

- no shell menu integration. I mean, In Windows XP right click on directory/file brings up menu with all the commands that I have in Windows Explorer. In Windows 7 64bit - no. For example 7-zip
In the prealfa version you can already test the possibility to call the 64 bit context menu. I will use that solution for an update 2009.02b, of course I make optionally the possibility to call the 64 bit context menu with the right click mouse.
On the other site you could simply install 32 and 64 bit version of the 7-zip.
- sometimes FC just refuses to open/launch a file/programm. You may click and nothig happens
- sometimes FC just refuses drag&drop. I mean, you can't "catch" a file with LMB to drag it.
If you have more details, we could check if we have the problems in the prealfa version too.
And one more thing, which I actually can not say how it was in WindosXP becouse I hadn't noticed it - sorting of the list of files.
I think I had no problems with that in WinXP, but I can not guarantee. This is about sorting the list of files which names are numbers.
Extras->Settings->View: Sorting - Natural sorting (as Explorer)

mariuszsw

#8 Post by mariuszsw » 20.05.2010, 06:36

Thank you.

princecheck13

#9 Post by princecheck13 » 18.07.2010, 10:24

Have used It yesterday without any problems. Today, however, I could not get connection to the GPS.. I will try it again a bit later today as it might have something to do with the GPS app That ask me to download the latest data.
papa johns vouchers

ddexxters75

#10 Post by ddexxters75 » 21.07.2010, 07:52

Why do you insist on calling version 2010 as being beta?
Marek clearly made it available as pre-alfa ( the name of the package is in fact "FreeCommander2010prealfa").
It is going to be better than the 2009 version, I'm sure! Just a little patience...