Can't Rename over unc address

Discussion and questions - donor version.
BGM

Can't Rename over unc address

#1 Post by BGM » 02.08.2011, 22:56

Hello, y'all! I want to rename a file over a unc location. I am in \\server\folder on a Linux server. Pushing F2 or even selecting "rename" from the file menu has no effect. And I think it locks up some process in FCXE 547, because when, after that, I type in another network address, FC freezes completely and then crashes. If FC doesn't get locked up like this, there is no problem with the network addresses. I tried rename over a windows unc location and it doesn't have the same hangup. Now, I used to do this all the time with the old FC2009b without ever a problem.
(Windows 10-1909 Professional 64bit)

Marek
Author
Author

Re: Can't Rename over unc address

#2 Post by Marek » 03.08.2011, 19:42

Pushing F2 or even selecting "rename" from the file menu has no effect.
Is the option "Use dialog window for rename" active?
Try to rename some file in \\server\folder\folder2.
...FC freezes completely and then crashes
Have you a bug report from the crash?

BGM

#3 Post by BGM » 03.08.2011, 20:20

Yes, the dialog window is enabled. The log file doesn't say anything except that the program started and the program exited (two lines). I can't get it to crash again, but I can confirm that the rename dialog won't work. It works on a windows network location, but not on the linux network location.
(Windows 10-1909 Professional 64bit)

uwee

#4 Post by uwee » 07.08.2011, 15:15

Renaming on the first folder level i.e. \\server\folder1 seems to be fixed on XE 548 thank you Marek!

But I have a similar Problem (perhaps with the same solution?) on a Buffalo Linux NAS server (XFS file system) with the file list view:

- i have added a special general "column profile" with only "name", "extension", "size" and "Modified" for everything (without a defined condition)
- by changing to the first folder level i.e. \\server\folder1 of the Linux server the view changes automatically to other columns "Name", "Größe", "Elementtyp" und "Änderungsdatum" (column names of the german Windows)
- if you try to add columns via the context menu "Add/remove columns" only colums of the type "Windows" are shown; the normal type "FreeCommander" and their corresponding columns are completely missing
- by changing in deeper folder levels (2., 3. .....) that (FreeCommander-) columns are automatically shown correctly that are stored in the "column profile"
- by manually applying the "custom profile" via the menu [View]-->[Column profiles]--<profile name> it is possible even in the first folder level of the Linux server to switch to the desired columns (remark: then the date of the parent folder ".." is shown as 30.12.1899 00:00:00)
Uwe