Suggestions: Favorites view

Discussion and questions - donor version.
elminster80

Suggestions: Favorites view

#1 Post by elminster80 » 03.01.2012, 12:20

I just discovered the XE version of FreeCommander and really like it. Until now I've been using UltraExplorer, but the website isn't reachable since months, so I guess it's a dead project. Anyway, FC XE feels like a very good replacement.

Only one thing I'm really missing: a permanent visible favorites list that can be ordered with custom lables (as displayed in the right part of the screenshot below). I know, there is a favorite button with shortcuts, but it's a little bit cumbersome hitting this small icon. And using lables to order the "bookmarks" would be especially useful for a portable file explorer - e.g. for the lables "Work" and "Home", so you can directly access any (of the many) regularly used folders with a single click.

Another thing I'm missing a little bit too are mouse gestures to move back/forward in history (right click left/right), but I can live without it. Especially since I discovered that I cann disable the row mode and use a double click on any white space to go one folder up.

Maybe you consider the favorite view as useful addition. Thanks anyway for a great explorer replacement :)

Scott_Y

Re: Suggestions: Favorites view

#2 Post by Scott_Y » 03.01.2012, 19:24

elminster80 wrote:Another thing I'm missing a little bit too are mouse gestures to move back/forward in history (right click left/right), but I can live without it. Especially since I discovered that I cann disable the row mode and use a double click on any white space to go one folder up.
You might want to try the keyboard shortcuts:
Backspace = up one folder level
Alt + left/right arrow = History back/forward
Alt + down arrow = History list

elminster80

#3 Post by elminster80 » 03.01.2012, 20:36

Thank you. I didn't know Alt+Down yet. But since I navigate a lot with the mouse, the Alt keys aren't the fastest option (you have to use both hands). And I use the quasi mouse gesture - double clicking on a white space - to go up one level far more often than backspace.

Maybe I rely too much on my mouse and visuals. Otherwise I might be appreciating the key shortcuts for the favorites a lot more, too :)

Scott_Y

#4 Post by Scott_Y » 04.01.2012, 00:09

I should have acknowledged your preference for mouse shortcuts, elminster80. That was clear from your post, so I suspected the keyboard shortcuts would not really meet your need. They might be useful for other readers.

As for the main suggestion of your post, the Favorites panel is a nice and useful idea. I think XYplorer has something similar.

ralfso

#5 Post by ralfso » 04.01.2012, 06:27

I use locked Tabs like visible favorites.
Regards
Ralf

Win10 (64-bit), Intel i7-2600 (3,4 GHz), 8 GB Ram, 500 GB SSD, 2x2000 GB HD, NVIDIA GeForce 545

Karol

#6 Post by Karol » 04.01.2012, 08:20

You can use File Container Tab for your favorite folders.

elminster80

#7 Post by elminster80 » 04.01.2012, 12:08

Hey, thanks for all the suggestions. But locked or container tabs are more like a workaround with the drawback, that you lose a panel (in a manner of speaking) or have to do multiple clicks to access the favorites. I think screen sizes and resolutions are high enough to stretch things a little bit, allowing for a favorite list somewhere, aren't they? :)

ralfso

#8 Post by ralfso » 04.01.2012, 13:41

It would'nt disturb me, but for all daily used folders I have the tabs and for less important folders the favorites popup.

At the moment FCXE is an alpha-version and I would be happy if FCXE becomes a feature-complete beta-version or even a full "stable" version with all previous features.

Then the next development steps are welcome.
Regards
Ralf

Win10 (64-bit), Intel i7-2600 (3,4 GHz), 8 GB Ram, 500 GB SSD, 2x2000 GB HD, NVIDIA GeForce 545

uwee

#9 Post by uwee » 05.01.2012, 14:37

Another possibility to show favorite folders constantly and to have direct access is to add them to the favorite toolbar - despite the name there could not only programs be linked but also folders....

With the use of categories during the definition of the favorite toolbar its also possible to build a tree like hierarchy or order (with the disadvantage of an additionally neccessary click to open)
Uwe