What is a File Container tab?

Discussion and questions - donor version.
Scott_Y

What is a File Container tab?

#1 Post by Scott_Y » 03.01.2012, 18:57

I'm wondering if someone could explain what a File Container tab is and how to use it. I'm hoping for an answer similar to what would be in a Help file (and a good answer here could perhaps even become part of the actual FC XE Help file). Thank you!

Karol

Re: What is a File Container tab?

#2 Post by Karol » 04.01.2012, 08:28

File Container Tab is a flat list of files and/or folders. File Container save only the links to the source file/folder. You can copy (F5) files/folders to one container from different sources. You can send the search result list to the File Container.
If you have some files/folders in File Container, you can perform operations on all items (copy, view, set attributes,...).

uwee

#3 Post by uwee » 05.01.2012, 14:25

Look here: http://forum.freecommander.com/viewtopi ... hilit=cart

The most important difference to a normal tab is, that i can contain links to files /folders out of completely different folders as a kind of collection....

P.S. You couldnt find this because in former times the "file container" was named "file cart"
Uwe

Scott_Y

#4 Post by Scott_Y » 10.01.2012, 00:36

Thanks, Karol and Uwee, for getting me started on File Containers. I see... they are like Win 7 Libraries but much more powerful and useful! Win Libraries are too limited, and therefore useless for me :^|

One "gottcha" about File Containers is that we must be careful to remove an item from the container list by using the dedicated REMOVE button at the end of the address bar. Otherwise a regular file delete within the list deletes the target object!!!

BGM

#5 Post by BGM » 10.01.2012, 01:35

That may seem like a gotcha, but to me, it makes the file container very powerful and useful. I agree, however, that if you aren't paying attention, it could cause problems. What if the default way for "removing" a file from a file container was the delete key, and to delete the actual file was "shift+delete". Or this could be something to note in the options panel - that is, the behaviour of the "delete" function. As it is, you have to bear in mind that a file-container tab does not work the same as a regular tab, and to me, having to remember that is the gotcha.
(Windows 10-1909 Professional 64bit)

Scott_Y

#6 Post by Scott_Y » 10.01.2012, 06:52

BGM wrote:... As it is, you have to bear in mind that a file-container tab does not work the same as a regular tab, and to me, having to remember that is the gotcha.
I agree, BGM: The key is to remember that we are operating in a file-container -- this is the general condition. In my case, the specific consequence applies when I, by habit, delete a file in the normal manner when I only intended to remove it from the file-container list.

I therefore make this suggestion for a future enhancement: Offer the option to color the file-list background, parallel to the way in which other special conditions are colored (quick filtered, plain, and only-selected views). This is set in the View > File/Folder list > Color/Font. Tan or light yellow could be the color to easily contrast with the default colors for the other three views.

This would either replace or be in addition to the current option where the tab of a file container is colored differently than a normal tab (set in View > Folder tabs > Tab colors). The background is much more prominent than the tab, and would therefore provide an easier or safer indication of the list's status. Thanks for considering this. File/Folder list

Scott_Y

#7 Post by Scott_Y » 23.02.2012, 16:09

BGM wrote:... What if the default way for "removing" a file from a file container was the delete key, and to delete the actual file was "shift+delete".
On further thought, I now prefer BGM's suggestion of using delete key to remove a link in a file container (and not delete the target file, as it now operates). I don't think my idea of a colored backgound will help prevent accidental deletion of target files, and I hearby withdraw that suggestion.