Features Broken and Settings File

Discussion and questions - donor version.
Armadillo

Features Broken and Settings File

#1 Post by Armadillo » 02.02.2012, 00:44

Why doesn't Win-E redirect work ? Win-E redirect is suppose to re-direct Windows Explorer to FreeCommanderXE, unless that is not it's purpose ? Where does FreeCommander store the settings file, I can't find it in any of the folders where FreeCommanderXE is installed ? FreeCommander should have the option to save the settings file to a location so you don't loose your favorites etc. Is there a manual or a work in progress manual for FreeCommanderXE ?

Scott_Y

Re: Features Broken and Settings File

#2 Post by Scott_Y » 02.02.2012, 05:14

Armadillo wrote:Where does FreeCommander store the settings file, I can't find it in any of the folders where FreeCommanderXE is installed ? FreeCommander should have the option to save the settings file to a location so you don't loose your favorites etc.
In FC 2009.x, the location of FreeCommander.ini could be specified by the user under Settings > Start program. I don't see anything like that in FC XE.

If you are using FC XE in Win 7 (and probably Vista too), look in
C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Local\FreeCommanderXE\Settings
where you will find several INI files.

Yes, it is nice for the user to be able to designate a location for settings files. But lacking that, you can and should back them up to a safe location.
Last edited by Scott_Y on 02.02.2012, 05:38, edited 2 times in total.

Scott_Y

#3 Post by Scott_Y » 02.02.2012, 05:21

Armadillo wrote:Is there a manual or a work in progress manual for FreeCommanderXE ?
I haven't seen a help file for FC XE, and indeed it would be premature because the program is still changing. But most of the features were in the earlier FC as well. You can get a help file for FC 2005 from the Downloads page http://www.freecommander.com/fc_downl_en.htm

I also highly recommend the excellent guides for FC 2009-02a by Granny http://www.freecommander.com/fc_guide_en.htm

From these resources you can learn all the basics of FC XE. Any remaining questions can be asked here on the Forum.

Scott_Y

#4 Post by Scott_Y » 02.02.2012, 05:47

If you don't mind, Armadillo, I'd like to make two suggestions for your future posts. I think it will speed up or improve the responses you might get.

First, put each topic in a separate post (you had three topics here). That way each can receive specific attention, and they are less likely to get lost in the discussions.

Second, mention what version of FC and what operating system you are using. Sometimes the answers will be different depending on that information.

I hope to see you again here!