how to find out the files history?

Discussion and questions - donor version.
hycmos

how to find out the files history?

#1 Post by hycmos » 23.02.2012, 07:35

I open every file by using freecommander.

When i start my PC on the morning, I want to find how many and what files are opened by FC yesterday, the day before yestaerday ....
Because I need continue to use these files to do something, such as write word documents, draw pictures not finishing yesterday.
But i can't find how to do this in freecommander.
In freecommader I can find histry of folders by right-clicking TAB but it is not work for files!!

can anyone help me with this? where is the menu?

Scott_Y

Re: how to find out the files history?

#2 Post by Scott_Y » 23.02.2012, 16:26

hycmos wrote:... When i start my PC on the morning, I want to find how many and what files are opened by FC yesterday, the day before yestaerday ... In freecommader I can find histry of folders by right-clicking TAB but it is not work for files!!
FC can keep track of the folders you have visited (hence it is called the "folder history"). But as far as I know, it is not designed to track what files have been opened.

For tracking files you might want to use Window's Recent Items folder. You can get to the Recent Items folder easily through the Win System Folders popup menu on the FC toolbar. Even better would be to lock a FC tab on Recent Items and sort by date.

Another approach would be to link files you are currently working on in a file container tab (or file cart tab in FC 2009) -- perhaps a different container tab for each project. See the threads
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=3283
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=3673
For this, however, you need to manually copy the file to the container tab. Recent Items, by contrast, is automatically managed by Windows.

BGM

#3 Post by BGM » 23.02.2012, 18:36

If you want to track files being opened, you might be able to do it like this:

First, write an autohotkey script (or other program would be fine) that will receive a commandline parameter. After this script logs the file path, it then shell-runs the file, which will launch it using its associated program.

Now, create a button in FC that calls that script, and sends it the parameter for the active-selected-file (see the favourites toolbar config panel).

Call your button "Log And Open". Now, just select any file in FC, push the "Log And Open" button. Voila! The file opens like normal and you get a log of whatever file was opened. And this history will be traced ONLY to your new button. Anything not opened with that button will not get logged.

Autohotkey is very powerful. And combined with FC, you can make FC do absolutely anything.
(Windows 10-1909 Professional 64bit)

hycmos

#4 Post by hycmos » 24.02.2012, 07:18

Scott_Y wrote: FC can keep track of the folders you have visited (hence it is called the "folder history"). But as far as I know, it is not designed to track what files have been opened.

For tracking files you might want to use Window's Recent Items folder. You can get to the Recent Items folder easily through the Win System Folders popup menu on the FC toolbar. Even better would be to lock a FC tab on Recent Items and sort by date.

As far as I know it seems the the Recent Items (Start > My Recent Documents) can not record all thing used by FC, such as some exe file, and so on. I will try the way to confirm this. anyway, thanks for your help. :D

hycmos

#5 Post by hycmos » 24.02.2012, 07:21

BGM wrote:If you want to track files being opened, you might be able to do it like this:

First, write an autohotkey script (or other program would be fine) that will receive a commandline parameter. After this script logs the file path, it then shell-runs the file, which will launch it using its associated program.

Now, create a button in FC that calls that script, and sends it the parameter for the active-selected-file (see the favourites toolbar config panel).

Call your button "Log And Open". Now, just select any file in FC, push the "Log And Open" button. Voila! The file opens like normal and you get a log of whatever file was opened. And this history will be traced ONLY to your new button. Anything not opened with that button will not get logged.

Autohotkey is very powerful. And combined with FC, you can make FC do absolutely anything.
it seems this is a good idea although need Autohotkey. i will try this. thanks! :D

BGM

#6 Post by BGM » 24.02.2012, 15:27

AutoHotkey is free, actively developed, *very powerful*, the forum is very active and very helpful; there are thousands of examples (visit also skrommel's page on DonationCoder), and comes in both 32bit and 64 bit.

Plus, any scripts you write for use with FC would be of great interest to the folks here!

Also, knowing AutoHotkey, I think the aforementioned script would actually be quite easy to write. I would do it for you (and the rest of us), but I am a bit swamped at the moment.

Scott_Y

#7 Post by Scott_Y » 25.02.2012, 01:09

hycmos wrote:... it seems the the Recent Items (Start > My Recent Documents) can not record all thing used by FC, such as some exe file, and so on. ...
You are correct, hycmos. Windows Recent Items shows only files and folders. And I've learned there are two disadvantages to my suggestion: there is a limit to the number of links stored (I don't know how many that is), and not all applications put links to their opened files there.

For your particular purpose, you might like to consider a launcher program such as Find and Run Robot (FARR). Hit the hotkey to open FARR, and as you begin to type in the name of the file or program you want, it shows a list of matches to select from. It recognizes entries in places like Start Menu, Desktop, Recent Items, and any folder you specify. It also "learns" what files or programs you open most often and puts them at the top of the list. I usually find the match I want by entering just a few characters -- often only one or two. That may sound more difficult than it really is; in fact FARR is surprisingly fast and easy. Executor is similar to FARR, and both are free.

BGM

#8 Post by BGM » 25.02.2012, 02:53

If you just want a launcher, FC has one, you know, it is called "Quick Starter" and is in the Extras menu. However, for logging, I still think the autohotkey script button is better because it will act like an internal function.

BGM

Re: how to find out the files history? - OpenAndLog Script

#9 Post by BGM » 26.02.2012, 18:30

Okay, here is the LogAndOpen script, written for AutoHotkey_L. I have tested it on my XP, and it works fine. It is a script, so you need AutoHotkey installed on your system. I use AutoHotkey_L, so I don't know if it will work with AutoHotkey Standard. Anyway, just put this code in a text file and make sure the extension is ".ahk".

Let me know if you like it or have any questions.
You can get the script here:

http://forum.freecommander.com/viewtopi ... 227#p11227