Request: Option to show splitter toolbar in one panel mode

Discussion and questions - donor version.
JohnFredC

Request: Option to show splitter toolbar in one panel mode

#1 Post by JohnFredC » 16.03.2012, 17:25

When issuing the command Dual/one panel to show only "one panel", the splitter toolbar disappears.

Please consider an option to continue to display the splitter toolbar (appropriately on either the left or right, depending upon which panel is active) when XE displays in "one panel" mode.

Thanks for listening!
Mouse-centric

Dreamer
Site Admin

Re: Request: Option to show splitter toolbar in one panel mo

#2 Post by Dreamer » 17.03.2012, 00:30

I understand this request, but it might be a problem, some buttons are for two panels, like copy/move, compare, swap panels. The files might be moved to the other (invisible) panel by accident.

JohnFredC

#3 Post by JohnFredC » 17.03.2012, 00:59

But of course that's specifically what I would like to use it for. 8)

It's OK if the default behavior hides the splitter toolbar. I'm just asking for the option.
Mouse-centric

Dreamer
Site Admin

#4 Post by Dreamer » 19.03.2012, 01:11

OK, Marek have to decide...

However, what about moving the splitter left or right completely, then it is the way you want it, isn't it?

I still thing this way might be confusing and relatively danger, how would you know where are you copying/moving the files? I'm just trying to find why you want this option, or how would you use it.

JohnFredC

#5 Post by JohnFredC » 19.03.2012, 01:51

Hi Dreamer!

Envision a task selecting photos to move/copy into another folder. No need to see the contents of the destination folder during that activity, but a full screen (panel) of thumbs is very helpful because there are many images and many are similar.

Yes, it is possible for the user to configure other toolbars (or use the function key bar) for this purpose, and yes the keyboard may be more efficient than the mouse, but I prefer the "dynamic" buttons present on the splitter toolbar and I find that horizontal mouse movement is more efficient (than vertical) for me. Also, the side of the XE window that the splitter would move to helps the user keep track of "which panel is which".

From another perspective, I think the user (not the program) should retain control over the visibility of toolbars. Hiding the splitter toolbar in one panel mode (for instance) makes assumptions about what's best for the user, something I strongly encourage developers to avoid (unless one is an Apple employee :wink: ).

John
Mouse-centric