favorite folders: FC start takes minutes (Not Responding)

Discussion and questions - donor version.
inglorious

favorite folders: FC start takes minutes (Not Responding)

#1 Post by inglorious » 18.03.2012, 21:02

to reproduce define some favorite folders like \\yourNAS or \\YourOfflineComputer\SharedFolder
then if these Computers are offline, or if your Network e.g. NAS is slow or off-line; FC start takes minutes! (FC is Not Responding)
because of "reading" the favorites folders.

The same happens when "customizing favorite folders", it takes minutes until the "define favorite toolbar" dialog pops up.

update: after doing more tests I can confirm that resolving "off-line" addresses leads to a delayed FC start, in my case it takes 4 min 30 sec. until the main window [gui] is displayed.

I have some tabs open in each panel but all tabs are pointing to local folders, so the problem is caused by the favorite folders.

Can anyone else confirm this severe issue?
Win7x64

inglorious

Re: favorite folders: FC start takes minutes (Not Responding

#2 Post by inglorious » 20.03.2012, 12:18

I've created a video showing the start without favorites (4 sec.) and with favorites leading to a delayed start of 4.30 min:

you'll find the video here:
http://www.filedropper.com/fcstart
Win7x64

Marek
Author
Author

#3 Post by Marek » 20.03.2012, 21:59

You write about "favorite folders" (we have dialog for favorite folders too) but your screenshot is from "favorite toolbars". If you mean favorite toolbars then please try to define for UNC items (\\yourNAS or \\YourOfflineComputer\SharedFolder) your own icons (from local path) and test again.

inglorious

#4 Post by inglorious » 20.03.2012, 23:07

I meant favorite toolbars. after assigning local icons for all UNC folders, the start time went down to 1-2 sec. THANKS A LOT!!! what a relief! :D

this "trick" should be mentioned somewhere in the FAQ! thanks again!
Win7x64