if install folder and fcstart.ini are writable

Discussion and questions - donor version.
vsrawat

if install folder and fcstart.ini are writable

#1 Post by vsrawat » 30.09.2012, 15:33

Tools - Settings - Start Program - Configuration folders

says "you can change this path only if install folder and fcstart.ini are writable"

1. Please give the name of install folder name like (c:\Program Files\FreeCommander XE) or whatever, so that we dumbwits can directly go there and check whether it is writable or not.

Now, windows 7 makes all install folders read only, so why make such a condition that goes against default setting of an O.S.? Can't we get to change the settings folders in w7?

2. I didn't find any fcstart.ini in about install folder or in c:\USERS settings folder.
where do I keep this file, what should be its minimal content?

if it is to be in install folder, then w7 will again make that read only by default. so, how does anyone get to change the above settings path then?

Thanks.

ralfso

Re: if install folder and fcstart.ini are writable

#2 Post by ralfso » 30.09.2012, 21:21

Nobody should change the read only settings of Win7 system folders.

If you want to put the settings in FCXE installation folder you shouldn't use the program-files-folder as installation path because its restricted by Win 7!
Only admins have write permission, so admins can change the files and the path to configuration folders.

After a normal installation the users will have their settings in their appdata-folder, which is quite ok.
If you want all users to use the same settings the admin has to change the path to a writable location.
The result is that all users have same settings but also can change this settings.
Regards
Ralf

Win10 (64-bit), Intel i7-2600 (3,4 GHz), 8 GB Ram, 500 GB SSD, 2x2000 GB HD, NVIDIA GeForce 545

vsrawat

#3 Post by vsrawat » 30.09.2012, 22:39

I am the only user of this home pc, and I have admin rights.

so, will it be ok to tell me how to do it?
--

Also, when the software mentions a file "fcstart.ini" by name, it should be included somewhere so that users can at least search for it to locate it. currently we are wondering where this file might be and what its contents would be like.

vsrawat

#4 Post by vsrawat » 30.09.2012, 22:44

I have made an e:My Data\fc folder where fc backs up its settings, and that folder has a subfolder being used by fc as TEMP.

still, when I save settings, fc saves that is AppData folder in w7 installation. If I have to format and reinstall w7 someday, it will wipe that appdata folder and fc settings will be gone.

That's why you should give some option to migrate settings folders to an altogether different disk or at least different partition, so that users can save it for eternity.

you can look at firefox or thunderbird installation. just by a single settings (manually done there) user can shift their entire user data to a different partition. that's how I am using same data for both for last 12-14 years, across many formats and many reinstall and many upgrade of os from 95-98-xp/w7.

I am really suprised that no user requested such a migration of settings folder.s

Thanks.

joby_toss

#5 Post by joby_toss » 30.09.2012, 23:25

Move FCXE outside Program Files, then change the Settings path to wherever you want:

My "fcStart.ini" file is in FCXE's folder and has the following contents:

Code: Select all

[Start]
freeCommanderIniDir=%FcSrcPath%
Check Help>About menu to see where your settings are located.

vsrawat

#6 Post by vsrawat » 01.10.2012, 07:10

sorry for taking so much of your precious time.

I don't want to change the installation folder. that is good to be at c:\Program Files. I think nobody would want to change that.
So, I don't want fcStart.ini file with
--
[Start]
freeCommanderIniDir=%FcSrcPath%
--
I have created a blank fcStart.ini in c:\Program Files\FreeCommanderXE

I want to change the Settings folder only. Currently it is at "C:\Users\ilLUSion\AppData\Local\FreeCommanderXE"
I want to change it to E:\My Data\fc\Settings

So what would be fcStart.ini key to have this value for fc xe settings folder to be this one, if possible. the name of the key is not shown in About
--

Please also share how to make any line in fcStart.ini as comment (by prefixing * or / or // or what) so that I can retain the defaults that you are sharing.

Thanks.
--

joby_toss

#7 Post by joby_toss » 01.10.2012, 09:08

Code: Select all

[Start]
freeCommanderIniDir=E:\My Data\fc\
This is the content of "fcStart.ini" file if you choose "E:\My Data\fc\" as "Following folder" under "Settings>Configuration folder".
But wasn't my screenshot clear enough?

vsrawat

#8 Post by vsrawat » 01.10.2012, 09:27

Yep, that is it. did that, now it saving setting in my data folder, not in Users folder.

your screenshots were perfectly clear, that is how I tried.
But while your Help-About speaks about FcAppDataPath and FcSrcPath it didn't mention freeCommanderIniDir, so I couldn't understand it then.

That solves my query. Thanks a lot. Hope you would make it this much clear for everybody in some next release.

Thanks.