[Feature suggestion] Compute SHA checksums

Discussion and questions - donor version.
vodoomoth

[Feature suggestion] Compute SHA checksums

#1 Post by vodoomoth » 15.10.2015, 15:04

FreeCommander currently boasts one of the most useful (to me) features, that is the ability to compute MD5 checksums. What I have been noticing these last years though is that SHA checksums are becoming more and more visible, if not dominant, when it comes to checksums and digests of files offered for download across the Web.

Therefore, I'm suggesting here that SHA-1 and SHA-2 algorithms be added to FreeCommander.

One could argue that other programs (such as FsumFrontEnd, which is what I use in those cases) are available to do the job. But that is also a fact for MD5, which is nonetheless in FC.

Timon

Re: [Feature suggestion] Compute SHA checksums

#2 Post by Timon » 15.10.2015, 18:03

There is a workaround for your request (MD5 and SHA1 ONLY)- WCX (packer plugin) named Checksum 0.2b
It could be downloaded here (ONLY 32-bit version!!!) http://ghisler.fileburst.com/plugins/checksum.zip

It provides MD5 and SHA1 checksum generator/checker from within FC XE packer interface. It is able to generate ".md5" and ".sha" list files acceptable by GNU respectively md5sum and sha1sum utilities. There is also 'virtual' browser for these list files.

Description how to install/use plugin could be found in file readme.txt

* How to install this plugin (32 bit only):
--------------------------------------------
1. Unzip the "checksum.wcx" to the FC XE plugins directory
2. In FC XE choose 'Tools - Settings... - Archiver plugins'
3. Click 'Add New plugin' button
4. Browse to "checksum.wcx" file
5. Type 'sha' as the extension (md5 checksums could created/verified withtin FC XE build-in generator, so there is no need to set md5 as an additional extension)
6. Don't forget to enable plugin!
7. Click OK

* What it does:
----------------
Provides SHA1 checksum generator/checker from within FC XE packer interface. It is able to generate ".sha" list files acceptable by GNU respectively md5sum and sha1sum utilities. There is also 'virtual' browser for these list files.
See "Usage" section for details.

* Usage:
---------
I) Generate SHA checksum:
1. Select files you wish to compute checksum.
2. Then go to "Files - Pack".
3. Select Archive format - "sha".
4. PLEASE NOTE THAT ARCHIVE PATH WILL BE IGNORED!!!
".sha" 'archive' is *ALWAYS* generated in current directory (where checked files are), and NOT in opposite panel!
The only exception is creating checksum of files stored on CD-ROM media as there's no way to create files there.
5. Press OK and check CURRENT directory for ".sha" list generated.

II) Verify SHA checksum:
1. Vertify that ".sha" list is in it's right place (filenames listed in it should be relative to current directory). Open in both active and inactive panels the same folder.
2. Select ".sha" file and do "Files - Unpack".
3. In current folder new folder with name of file for what checksum was calculated would be created (for example, you have files.sha checksum file, after unpack you'll see folder named FILES). In that folder you'll find file with original name and extension for that chechksum was created
4. If you open that file you'll see a similar content:
C:\<FOLDER NAME>\<ORIGINAL FILENAME FOR THAT CHECKSUM WAS CREATED>
expected: <checksum>
computed: <checksum>
SHA1 checksum OK!

Known Bugs and other usefull info could be also found in file Readme.txt

vodoomoth

Re: [Feature suggestion] Compute SHA checksums

#3 Post by vodoomoth » 31.10.2015, 14:04

Thank you for this informative post. I'll make sure to check out this plugin.