Default settings for queue and operations

Discussion and questions - donor version.
Dreamer
Site Admin

Default settings for queue and operations

#1 Post by Dreamer » 20.07.2016, 01:31

I think it's very important, which settings are used by default, because many normal users don't change the settings.

By default, for copy/move file/folder operations, "use Windows" is the default operation, why? If the users want to use Windows operations, they use Explorer, IMHO. FC may freeze when using Windows operations for several files at once, so why not use FC operations by default?

For Delete, "use Windows" is better, because deleting thousands of files takes minutes using FC.

For the new Queue feature, I think it's better to add item to queue, than copying several items together, so I suggest to change these options by default:

[v] Make Queue button as default in the operation dialog

[v] Queue status bar visible
... (o) Only if any operation exists *

* I don't think it should be always visible, it's might be confusing, if no operation is active, and even more confusing, since currently the default button is not the Queue, so the Queue bar is always visible, but most users will not use it, because it's not enabled by default.

Please let us know what do you think about it...

Marek
Author
Author

Re: Default settings for queue and operations

#2 Post by Marek » 20.07.2016, 23:07

By default, for copy/move file/folder operations, "use Windows" is the default operation, why?
I think it is simpler for beginners if they have first known operation dialogs.
FC may freeze when using Windows operations for several files at once
Not if you start the operation per default commands F5, F6, Shift+F5, Shift+F6
For Delete, "use Windows" is better, because deleting thousands of files takes minutes using FC.
What is the scenario for such problem.
I have tested now the last release with the following data in test folder: 41 folders and 7540 files (totaling 15795 files in 4353 folders).
FC default settings - only switch delete operation to FC: delete permanently ca. 35 sec.
The same as Windows operation ca.30 sec.
The FC delete operation may take longer if you use "Vista method" and on the files tab the plain view button is active.
[v] Queue status bar visible
... (o) Only if any operation exists *
I agree.

Dreamer
Site Admin

#3 Post by Dreamer » 21.07.2016, 00:43

I have tested now the last release with the following data in test folder: 41 folders and 7540 files (totaling 15795 files in 4353 folders).
FC default settings - only switch delete operation to FC: delete permanently ca. 35 sec.
The same as Windows operation ca.30 sec.
I don't use "delete permanently", here are my tests...
- 201 MB, 117 folders, 1398 files

- deleting to bin (Win) - less than 1 second
- emptying recycle bin - about 1 second

- deleting to bin (FC) - 29 seconds
- emptying recycle bin - about 3 seconds

mgroen

#4 Post by mgroen » 11.03.2021, 18:40

Well, in my opinion it would be better to have FC by default use the FC Method (for copy/move, etc) , because then you start to know FC and its possibilities by using FC.
If I didn't dive into it and read the manual I didn't even know the FC method was existing! So, I had to search for it first. Better alternative would be to use it and allow users it to disable/switch to faster methods.

Dreamer
Site Admin

#5 Post by Dreamer » 11.03.2021, 23:24

Thanks for your opinion and re-post.

It's a proof, that I am (probably :) ) right.

I know users, who never change default settings, they even don't want to change anything, even if I say, that it's better and useful, for 1 user I changed some settings, also this one and he is using it now, also tabs.

FC is amazing, but a lot of features are "hidden", because they are disabled by default, another problem is, that some features need to be configured and it's not easy for normal users, like different info for different file types in the status bar, column profiles, auto views, even favorite tools and so on...

Odamn-Ete

#6 Post by Odamn-Ete » 12.03.2021, 08:29

Marek wrote: 20.07.2016, 23:07
By default, for copy/move file/folder operations, "use Windows" is the default operation, why?
I think it is simpler for beginners if they have first known operation dialogs.
I have to agree with Marek.
Dreamer wrote: 11.03.2021, 23:24 ...

It's a proof, that I am (probably :) ) right.
IMHO it is not a matter of who is right, it is a matter of principle.
When learning (teaching) there are many maxims that are to be used to help people learn, i.e. from easy to difficult, from simple to complex, from known to unknown.

More information here:
https://www.tetsuccesskey.com/2015/01/m ... -ctet.html
https://notesread.com/12-best-maxims-of ... education/

And then there is the notorious and ever applicable RTFM
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RTFM
Dreamer wrote: 11.03.2021, 23:24 ...

I know users, who never change default settings, they even don't want to change anything, even if I say, that it's better and useful, for 1 user I changed some settings, also this one and he is using it now, also tabs.

I don't think this should be your problem Dreamer, users are free to configure FC as they please, don't you think?

Back to topic, the way Marek has the default configured corresponds to best practice.

Best regards,