layout enhancement request: add layout description

Discussion and questions - donor version.
NumberOne

layout enhancement request: add layout description

#1 Post by NumberOne » 03.10.2016, 23:15

layout descriptions facilitate layout utilization; by adding a user friendly description one can simply describe a particular program layout or task to be fulfilled.

please also consider my other layout enhancement request here.

Timon

Re: layout enhancement request: add layout description

#2 Post by Timon » 04.10.2016, 07:11

Why do you use for layout name "Layout Nr. 1" and so on? You have ability to give layout any name you like. So, use your description as layout name!
It is the same that give file name "1.txt", and then would frantically remember what is it. But it was possible to give a file name as "usefull apps.txt"
It is simply pointless to improve something here.

NumberOne

#3 Post by NumberOne » 04.10.2016, 13:32

thank you for participating in this discussion.

please allow me to clarify my enhancement request. :P

let say you're about to perform a tedious time consuming file management task, which will take weeks to fulfill.
(like re-visioning your movie collection, rating all your pictures, clear out your mp3 downloads,
, synchronizing your local computer with your NAS and so forth...)

as you have thousands of files/folders to review you know this will take forever, so you decide to create a layout
for each task. in each layout your favorite FM tool has been setup accordingly to complete the task comfortable.
in order to remember one week later what you were about to do you decide to add a detailed description to each task/layout.

or imagine a multi user environment, where you create descriptive layouts for your little sister to help her
with her file management.
or think of a vocational environment, where you create layouts incl. descriptions for your main daily tasks.
I hope you get the point by now...

of course you could create a text file and jot down everything you ought to do regarding your file management
or you could use 3Ms most valuable invention, yellow sticky notes and spread em all around your computer,
that's up to you, I'd rather prefer using descriptive layouts.

regarding your question, i guess many ppl prefer to use the layout edits window (ctrl+g) to select layouts.
there is not enough space to use a descriptive name when selecting from the toolbar. of course one could
implement descriptions as a tooltip, but I wouldn't consider that a smart work-around.

NumberOne

#4 Post by NumberOne » 07.10.2016, 01:06

well, I took the time and had a look how the big boys implemented this "pointless" feature:

maybe not so many use layouts (given the amount of issues I stumble upon)
though me thinks layouts are darn useful once matured ... :wink: