[TOOL] Explorer/FileManager Replacement for Windows 10 x64

Discussion and questions - donor version.
adamba

Re: [TOOL] Explorer/FileManager Replacement for Windows 10 x64

#31 Post by adamba » 27.03.2021, 20:45

also a big TY from my side, for this little but effective helper ;)

Not sure is this is the perfectly fitting thread, but I was wondering, if there actually is a way to use FC in saving/opening dialogues (like: "save as...") instead of the standard windows explorer-like thingy?
Getting more and more annoyed by the standard Windows implementation since actual harddrive letters got disguised by Microsoft :(

gggirlgeek

#32 Post by gggirlgeek » 28.03.2021, 06:19

Thank you very much!

I set it up yesterday and it works great, even with the portable version on a different drive. (I was surprised about that. Normally Windows 10 prevents wide systemic changes that don't come from Windows internal folders.) Just make sure you change the paths in the .config and .reg file before double clicking the reg file. Notice that the files specified in each are different: The .config file refers to Freecommander.exe and the .reg file refers to FC_CP_Explorer_Wrapper.exe. Change the path correctly.

Also, notice I am not referring to the Portableapps .paf version, just the regular .zip version of FreecommanderXE that keeps its settings in its own launch folder. The portableapps version has a different executable, FreecommanderPortable.exe, that may or may not work with this little helper application. I don't know.

FYI: I am on:
Win10 Pro 2004 as Administrator
FreecommanderXE_x64 845 for Donors in portable mode
(win10pro x64) - (latest FCXE x64 portable-mode, donor)

gggirlgeek

#33 Post by gggirlgeek » 28.03.2021, 15:33

adamba wrote: 27.03.2021, 20:45 also a big TY from my side, for this little but effective helper ;)

Not sure is this is the perfectly fitting thread, but I was wondering, if there actually is a way to use FC in saving/opening dialogues (like: "save as...") instead of the standard windows explorer-like thingy?
Getting more and more annoyed by the standard Windows implementation since actual harddrive letters got disguised by Microsoft :(
I don't know of a way to use FC for Save-As... dialogues but I do know a couple of tweaks to get Windows to show drive letters in a more obvious way. Here is a tweak to show drive letters first. It will also work for drives in FreeCommander.

Also if you go into Explorer's Folder Options you can untick the option to "Show All Folders" in the Navigation Pane. This will get rid of some of the crud and make it easier to see your drives in the Tree when you expand "This PC/My Computer."
(win10pro x64) - (latest FCXE x64 portable-mode, donor)

GauravKadyan

#34 Post by GauravKadyan » 20.05.2021, 01:04

Thanks for the awesome script. Whenever I download FC, I always download your script too.

Unfortunately, I can't get it to open new tab in the current instance. What I found was if I run it like FC.exe /C /T path, then it doesn't open in new tab of current instance. But, if I run it like FC.exe /C path /T or FC.exe /T path /C, then it opens in new tab of current instance. Is there a way to configure .reg file or .config file so that the arguments can be sent like this?

Murfski

#35 Post by Murfski » 21.11.2022, 00:56

Is there any way you could post a link to the zip file without all the ZipExtractor hoohah? I try to avoid any contact with Google, and I don't want to have to get a gmail account to download your files. I'd just like to download the zip file to my PC and go from there.

Vielen Dank fuer die Hilfe.

horst.epp

#36 Post by horst.epp » 16.12.2022, 18:59

Murfski wrote: 21.11.2022, 00:56 Is there any way you could post a link to the zip file without all the ZipExtractor hoohah? I try to avoid any contact with Google, and I don't want to have to get a gmail account to download your files. I'd just like to download the zip file to my PC and go from there.

Vielen Dank fuer die Hilfe.
There is no need for a google account to use the download link.
And Google isn't the devil which will harm you by just downloading a file from a Google server.
Windows 11 Home x64 Version 23H2 (OS Build 22631.3296)
Everything Version 1.5.0.1371a (x64), Everything Toolbar 1.3.2, Listary Pro 6.3.0.67
FreeCommander XE 2024 Build 905 64-bit donor

Forez

#37 Post by Forez » 25.08.2023, 13:40

The tool seems to be working like a charm in Build 894 64-bit Donor Portable on Windows 10 Enterprise 20H2 x64 - so thank you very much for creating this wrapper

But if I may: I would suggest changing the

Öffnen mit FreeCommander

to

Open in FreeCommander

in the Folder_Shell_fc_cp_explorer_wrapper.reg file

Forez

#38 Post by Forez » 29.08.2023, 17:35

Forez wrote: 25.08.2023, 13:40 The tool seems to be working like a charm in Build 894 64-bit Donor Portable on Windows 10 Enterprise 20H2 x64
[...]
Except I have now noticed two issues:

#1] In qBittorrent [4.5.4 x64 - https://www.qbittorrent.org/download] when I right click in it on an item of a torrent and select for it from the menu the Open destination folder entry then I do get in opened in FC - but without selected item. So I then have to manually navigate to that single item. The default behavior of Windows Explorer is to open such folder or its sub-folder with the item selected in qBittorent being selected also in WE. [This was also the default behavior with uTorrent]

My FreeCommander Control Panel Explorer Wrapper.exe.config file has this in it

Code: Select all

<userSettings>
        <FC_CP_Explorer_Wrapper.Properties.Settings>
            <setting name="Additional_Params" serializeAs="String">
                <value>/T /L=</value>
            </setting>
and for comparison in Everything [1.5.0.1355a x64 - https://www.voidtools.com/forum/viewtop ... =12&t=9787] under both the

Tools > Options > General > Context Menu > Explore Path

and

Tools > Options > General > Context Menu > Open Path

I have

Code: Select all

$exec("C:\q\FreeCommander\FreeCommander.exe" /T /L="%1")
which makes the location of selected item being opened with it being automatically selected

#2] Opened paths have all words written in lower case, no matter how the folders are really written- including the letter of volume

In order for a folder to reveal its true name [i.e. showing lower case only where it is really used] I have to go up - up to the This PC, in order to see capital letters being used for showing volumes

Psycan

#39 Post by Psycan » 27.09.2023, 06:09

Can anyone help me with this?

When I try this for Windows 11, importing the reg file, it imports fine, but when I click on a folder, I get an Error message APPLICATION NOT FOUND. or I get:
"This file does not have an app associated with it for perorming this action. Please install an app or create an association in the Default Apps settings page. " - which i see no way to do.

Using the Defauft reg, does reactivate the Windows File Explorer.

I do not have enough knowledge to troubleshoot this myself.
Can any one point me to the remedy?
Using: FreeCommander XE 2023 Build 880 64-bit donor

Here is the reg file I am using. (Note: the original German did not work either.)
Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\Folder\shell]
@="FreeCommander"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\Folder\shell\FreeCommander]
@="Open with Freecommander"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\Folder\shell\FreeCommander\command]
@="\"C:\\Program Files\\FreeCommander XE\\fc_cp_explorer_wrapper.exe\" \"%1\""

I also tried altering it to where my Freecommander is actually located in Programs x86 folder, but no change in result
Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\Folder\shell]
@="FreeCommander"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\Folder\shell\FreeCommander]
@="Open with FreeCommander"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\Folder\shell\FreeCommander\command]
@="\"C:\Program Files (86)\FreeCommander XE\fc_cp_explorer_wrapper.exe" - with and without the \"%1\""

Mycal @ psycan@gmail.com

Forez

#40 Post by Forez » 24.10.2023, 14:39

Forez wrote: 29.08.2023, 17:35
Forez wrote: 25.08.2023, 13:40 The tool seems to be working like a charm in Build 894 64-bit Donor Portable on Windows 10 Enterprise 20H2 x64
[...]
Except I have now noticed two issues:
[...]
And also a third one:

3] When I am in a Windows Explorer window and go deeper to some sub-folder then it s FreeCommander that opens it. Thus if I need to for whatever reason use WE instead of FC, I am forced to use the Open command from the shell menu- which is both time consuming and annoying when trying to navigate through multiple folders

The information from Readme.txt file stipulates
This small EXE written in .NET handles all clicked/opened folders from windows (incl. control panel links).
It checks if opened path is a clsid (guid = special windows folder like control panel elements).
All clsid's will be opened with explorer all other with FreeCommander.
So does this mean that the behavior I have described is intended - or am I experiencing some glitch?