File Container 'Save To...' doesn't seem to do anything

Discussion and questions - donor version.
rednammoc

File Container 'Save To...' doesn't seem to do anything

#1 Post by rednammoc » 28.04.2017, 23:15

Currently I have a handful of file containers in the file container folder. I open one with an unhelpful name like TmpFileContainer-3. I use the little icon with the floppy disk on it to save the file. There's a dialog where I put in a new, e.g. "Study Files". But, the tab continues to have the temporary name. If a file-container meta file is created I don't know where. The folder containing the other FC files doesn't have it. Where is the fcc file being stored? Is it being stored? Why doesn't the tab reflect the name of the file cabinet?

Thanks!
Mark

FreeCommander XE 2016 Build 716 64-bit donor

Dreamer
Site Admin

Re: File Container 'Save To...' doesn't seem to do anything

#2 Post by Dreamer » 29.04.2017, 00:46

Settings (F12) > view > folder tabs > file container tab - you can change the path here.

The path is also in the address bar.

You can also lock the container tab.

rednammoc

#3 Post by rednammoc » 29.04.2017, 02:52

Dreamer wrote:Settings (F12) > view > folder tabs > file container tab - you can change the path here.

The path is also in the address bar.

You can also lock the container tab.
But, the thing is, the specified file name given at the prompt never appears in that directory. So where does the .fcc file really go? Or does FC just neglect to make the file?

Thanks,
Mark

Timon

#4 Post by Timon » 29.04.2017, 06:43

In Help - About - Paths info - find where Freecommander.ini is located. Go to that folder and in subfolder FileContainers you'll find file container files.

Dreamer
Site Admin

#5 Post by Dreamer » 29.04.2017, 13:14

OK, just to make sure, right clicking the tab and selecting "Properties" can change the TAB name only, not the container name.

As I said, the path for file containers is in the address bar. Create new file container with default name and then Save the container, type a new name, click OK.
Screenshot_04292017_130602.png
If the file container with the new name is not created, perhaps it's a problem with the Windows rights.

If you have a problem creating file container, you can change the path for Settings and the path for file containers folder, as I said:

Settings (F12) > view > folder tabs > file container tab.

rednammoc

#6 Post by rednammoc » 29.04.2017, 23:18

I do a right click on a tab and select "New file container tab"

It makes a new file container tab with a temp name.

Then I click on the File container icon with the "disk" sub-icon.

I get a dialog asking for a name.

I give it a name like "EXAMPLE"

I go to the file containers folder and the file has not been created. There is only the original temp file.

If I change the container file path to some place else, the same thing happens.

FC can create temp files in the container directory (original or changed), so it should have rights to create a regular file.

In summary, the "File Container Save to" dialog is not creating a new file container with the specified name.

I can go into the container directory and change the name of a temporary fcc file manually (F2), but it would be nice if the "Save to" button actually worked.

Thank you,
Mark

Windows 7 Home Premium
FreeCommander XE 2016 Build 716 64-bit donor

Dreamer
Site Admin

#7 Post by Dreamer » 29.04.2017, 23:33

It works good here, you version is quite old, you can try the latest version 745, if possible, or Build 740 32-bit public, portable zip version, unpack it to non-Program Files folder.