Auto update

Discussion and questions - donor version.
CabbageTree

Auto update

#1 Post by CabbageTree » 05.06.2017, 16:45

Hello there!

Auto update function for donors would be awesome!

Thank you.

Zdenek

Timon

Re: Auto update

#2 Post by Timon » 05.06.2017, 19:16

It's not so easy to implement.
There are several types of donation - only for one download, 1 year access, permanent access.
Also there could be problem with 'leaked' versions - if someone steal such a version with auto update, he will receive updates without any restrictions (in case of lifetime access).

Dreamer
Site Admin

#3 Post by Dreamer » 05.06.2017, 22:16

Hm.. I have already requested this.

For example, I'm using a portable version with the custom path for settings, so I have to do these steps to install the new version:

1. open the web browser
2. enter the download site, select from favorites/bookmarks
3. log in
4. click the "Current downloads" link
5. exit FC
6. open explorer or another FC installation
7. search for Downloads folder
8. search for FC folder/path
9. enter the new version zip file
10. select all files
11. unselect fcStart.ini file
12. copy the files to actual FC installation folder
13. click to overwrite all items
14. close explorer/different FC program
15. run new FC

If complete auto-update is impossible, due to different licenses, security reasons, automatize at least some of these steps, e.g.:

In FC add option for the new version notification / partial auto-update, "Check for new version, at startup/daily/weelky/monthly/never".
If the new version is available, open one dialog at startup with the link to download page (1 step instead of steps 1-2).

Automatically place the links of the latest version at the "home page", or auto-transfer to site with downloads.
Use (also) exe files for portable version with auto-install option, which could use the last used options (saved in the Settings folder):

[x] auto-exit FC before installation
[x] install/unpack automatically
[x] use last used path (button to change it)
[x] auto-overwrite old files
[x] skip fcStart.ini file
[x] auto-start FC after installation
[x] auto-start installation*

* Eventually add the delay counter "Installation will be starte in 10 seconds. [Cancel]" Number of seconds could be configurable.

This way we could use save 11-12 steps, so just:

1. click the download link from auto-update dialog in FC
2. log in
3. click the download link with the auto-install file
(4). click the Run button (probably needed for exe file)

Anyway, even if not all auto-options are possible, 3, 4, or 5 steps are still better than 15.

haukebasse

#4 Post by haukebasse » 29.08.2020, 08:11

Hello everybody

The update issue is annoying me a bit, too. The lengthy process has been shown very well above.

I will probably not use the donor version any more, but the portable-apps-version. This is updated automatically via the portable apps platform.

I think there are no practical disadvantages, or do I miss anything?

Kind regards, Hauke

Odamn-Ete

#5 Post by Odamn-Ete » 31.08.2020, 23:44

Timon wrote: 05.06.2017, 19:16 It's not so easy to implement.
There are several types of donation - only for one download, 1 year access, permanent access.
Also there could be problem with 'leaked' versions - if someone steal such a version with auto update, he will receive updates without any restrictions (in case of lifetime access).
Maybe it would be possible to require a login to update to donor version, i.e. Auto Update notifies User of Update, selection between Free and Donor versions, when click on donor version, user has to enter password as on the download web page. I know, it sounds simpler than it is. Just my two cents worth.