Deleting many small files on servers very slow

Discussion and questions - donor version.
DaPaleRider

Deleting many small files on servers very slow

#1 Post by DaPaleRider » 31.08.2017, 08:02

Hello,

I regularly use Freecommander to delete many small logfiles. The search of files using my own settings is very quick and responsive.
The process for deleting the files is very very slow. For example, when I need to delete 50.000 files it takes minutes preparation and the a very long time to delete.

I tried multiple delete options, the Freecommand method, the Windows method, result is the same. Other tools for example Total Commander is a lot faster but that is not my tool of choice.

Any suggestions to speed up the process?

DaPaleRider

Re: Deleting many small files on servers very slow

#2 Post by DaPaleRider » 31.08.2017, 08:15

It seems that FreeCommander first collect all information of all files before the delete start. Other tools starts immediately with deletion.
Is it possible to do the same on FreeCommander?

Dreamer
Site Admin

Re: Deleting many small files on servers very slow

#3 Post by Dreamer » 31.08.2017, 22:52

FC had a bug with Windows mode, please try to install the latest version 755 and use Windows delete mode, or FC delete mode and on delete dialog select "Use Vista+ delete method".

Another way is the option "Use Vista method for not local drives" (If FC mode is active).

Make sure, you are using the correct keyboard shortcut, do not use "Delete to recycle bin (FC)", or use this hotkey together with "Use Vista+ delete method" on delete dialog.