Feature Request - Move Selected Files Up One Level

Discussion and questions - donor version.
sdaughtry

Feature Request - Move Selected Files Up One Level

#1 Post by sdaughtry » 22.10.2017, 06:40

Scenario: A folder contains 2-3 subfolders that contain files that need to be merged into the top level folder.

My process: Enter the 1st folder; select all files, use multi-rename to add a '1' to each file. Select all files, press CTRL-X to cut the files; move up one level to the parent folder; press Ctrl-V to paste the files. Enter the 2nd folder; use multi-rename to add a '2' to each file. Select all files, press CTRL-X to cut the files; move up one level to the parent folder; press Ctrl-V to paste the files. Select all files; use multi-rename to renumber all of the files using a standard nn-<filename> format

Request. Ability to add a button (preferably in the center of the split windows) that would do the following steps for me:

1. Select all files in the current folder
2. Move all selected files up one level (parent folder)
3. Change directory up one level (parent folder) - the moved files are now visible

I estimate I'd repeated this process (using various file managers) over the years at LEAST 25,000 times... this would be a massive time saver for me and add something unique to FC.

Thoughts?

Dreamer
Site Admin

Re: Feature Request - Move Selected Files Up One Level

#2 Post by Dreamer » 22.10.2017, 15:34

I'm not sure if I fully understand what you want, but try this:

- Ctrl+B to show all files in subfolders
- F9 to change view to details *
- right click the header > add/remove columns (or create column profile), add "Path" *
- click the Path header to sort by folder *
- Home, F2 (or Ctrl+A, F2) to add all files
- type [c][n] within the pattern > file name field *
- enable option "start with last used settings" in menu > Options *
- enable option "close dialog after rename" *
- Enter
- Ctrl+A, Backspace, Ctrl+V (to select all files, go up one folder, paste)

* these steps are needed only the first time.

You can create toolbar buttons for all options to replace the keyboard shortcuts, so you'd just have to click few buttons.

It's not exactly what you wanted, but I think it's much faster, no need to visit folders one by one.

Perhaps it could be done with a single button somehow, with external software like AutoIt or Autohotkey, since it's just clicking the keyboard shortcuts with some delay.

sdaughtry

#3 Post by sdaughtry » 22.10.2017, 19:14

Greetings!

thank you for the detailed reply. I did try your suggestion several times - while it did ultimately work, it wasn't a 'muscle memory' type of operation <g>... I downloaded a copy of FileTools to see if I can use a command line option to achieve the same objective (but I am still hopeful that this feature can be integrated into FC <g>).

Cheers from Albuquerque,
Scott

afh

#4 Post by afh » 23.10.2017, 09:13

As far as I understand, you need to insert a counter for all files sorted by level of subfolder -> that is by the Location column in Freecommnader Multi Rename.
You can do this in multirenamer.

The problem would be solved if MultiRename implemented (apart from obviously "Rename" action) "Move" and "Copy" actions -> like in AdvancedRenamer (https://www.advancedrenamer.com/)
I don't see why the implementation would be difficult ("rename" is just a move action, so "move" would be different only by the folder where the file with new name is moved). This is not the first time I make this suggestion for implementation.

sdaughtry

#5 Post by sdaughtry » 24.10.2017, 02:07

Good evening,

You are correct - I manually add a '1' prefix to each file in the first folder, a '2' prefix to each file in the second folder before I move them to the parent folder.

Cheers,
Scott