SUGGESTION: Add parent folder name to tab if tab folder has the same name

Discussion and questions - donor version.
casuluser

SUGGESTION: Add parent folder name to tab if tab folder has the same name

#1 Post by casuluser » 03.04.2018, 17:05

Version: FreeCommander XE 2018 Build 770 64-bit donor

I transitioned over to Freecommander after using Qttabbar for years. I liked Freecommander so much that I purchased the donor version (FreeCommander XE 2018 Build 770 64-bit donor). One feature I miss is the ability to display the parent folder name in the tab (I underlined it in red for emphasis) if multiple tabs have the same folder name as shown below. Or is this already possible in the settings?

casuluser

Re: SUGGESTION: Add parent folder name to tab if tab folder has the same name

#3 Post by casuluser » 04.04.2018, 09:17

Karol wrote: 03.04.2018, 17:31 Currently you can use "Show drive letter in drive caption".
Thanks for the reply and suggestion. However, I already have that option enabled and it doesn't help where I have many folders with the same name under different parent folders in the same drive, say a Dropbox directory, e.g. "C:\Dropbox\A\Foo" and "C:\Dropbox\B\Foo"

I also have "show tooltips with path info" enabled too, but it doesn't help much when it is necessary to have several "Foo" folders open at the same time when working on a particular assignment for example,

Dreamer
Site Admin

#4 Post by Dreamer » 04.04.2018, 21:35

If you're using the same tabs, you can lock tabs and rename, right click - Properties, you can change also the tab colors. Of course, it's just a workaround.

casuluser

#5 Post by casuluser » 07.04.2018, 00:02

Yeah it is a workaround that requires additional "work," lol. This might be helpful if there was a way to save layouts for Projects and load those to have the exact layout necessary for a particular project. Reopening the folders and having to do the lock and renaming process over and over again or finishing one project and open, lock and rename a new group of folders when moving to the next project can get old real fast.

Dreamer
Site Admin

#6 Post by Dreamer » 08.04.2018, 08:00

I'm not sure what exactly you need, but if you don't change the folders for each project completely, you can try the layouts.

Use option Layouts edit > "Close all current tabs" and "Auto save current layout". Now you can open any folders/tabs for each panel and rename tabs - you can save the tabs, but you don't have to do it, new name will be used though.

Anyway, options from your suggestion is already in Multi rename, so perhaps these options could supported also for tab name, e.g. this one could even control the name length:

[pf1,1,10]-[p]

If you need the first folder after drive letter, then option from the title bar patter could be used and you could limit the tab width, but the last / actual folder would be invisible:

[path]

I'm just not sure, if it's possible to implement, or if it would not slow down FC...

casuluser

#7 Post by casuluser » 10.04.2018, 20:56

Dreamer wrote: 08.04.2018, 08:00 I'm not sure what exactly you need, but if you don't change the folders for each project completely, you can try the layouts.
My question is basically this for the folder name as displayed on the tab:

If [ "parentfolder_tabx" != "parentfolder_tab{any of the others}"]; then
foldername-tabx="foldername-tabx"
else
foldername-tabx="foldername-tabx '@' parentfolder"
fi