Slow Performance with Detail View

Discussion and questions - donor version.
mjpepin

Slow Performance with Detail View

#1 Post by mjpepin » 03.04.2018, 19:41

I just upgraded to the Donor version (770) and it's performance is very slow when Detail View is on. I had been using the public version and this wasn't an issue, any ideas what could be wrong? I've got a few mapped drives on my local network but the issue occurs on both the network drive and the local C drive.

An example: when I attempt to scroll down a page with the mouse wheel, I can count to 3 before I see any movement on screen, then the movement is choppy. If I turn Detail View off for that folder, the performance is much improved, but still slower than the native Windows Explorer.

Windows 10 Pro, 64 bit
Donor Version 770 64 bit

Thanks,
Mike

Dreamer
Site Admin

Re: Slow Performance with Detail View

#2 Post by Dreamer » 03.04.2018, 20:28

Try to check if "Size of folder" option is not enabled, or icons option... Of course, test with default settings and upgrade to lastest version, if possible, check the last link below.

mjpepin

#3 Post by mjpepin » 04.04.2018, 01:01

I'm using the latest version and it's all default settings. I'm not sure what is meant by "Size of folder" option and icons option mentioned below, could you be more specific?

Overall the program is slow. When I click on Tools->Settings it takes 4 seconds for the settings window to appear. This is a high end machine, i7 processor with 16GB RAM. This is the only program that performs like this. I installed One Commander from the Windows Store and it's very fast with the same dual pane view, so it's not hardware related.

Dreamer
Site Admin

#4 Post by Dreamer » 04.04.2018, 19:36

If you're using default setting and build 773, you don't have to check those options above.

Do you have a delay only at program start, or anytime?

It's not normal, I think it could be network related, if you have many tabs with network path, too many favorite items (hundreds), antivirus, antispyware software...

If the older public version still works good, you can try to copy the freecommander.ini file from public to donor version.

Few options/actions you could try to change:

- F12 - Network - try to change these options
- F12 - View > File/folder list > Icons - change to "registered" for testing only
- close tabs with network path, desktop
- remove favorite items from toolbar
- temporary disable antivirus, for 10 minutes..

You can just copy/paste whole FC folder and test in the other folder, so your settings, opened paths, hotkeys will be preserved, or you can use command line options for default settings.