SUGGESTION: Merge Folders

Discussion and questions - donor version.
sdaughtry

SUGGESTION: Merge Folders

#1 Post by sdaughtry » 27.07.2019, 22:40

This is something I have sought within every File Manager I've ever used - the ability to merge subfolder contents into it parent folder (but NOT move files into the root folder). For example:

Sample directory tree:
d:\Docs\Invoices
d:\Docs\Invoices\1
d:\Docs\Invoices\2
d:\Docs\Invoices\3
d:\Docs\Invoices\4

Once the MERGE button is clicked within FC, the following actions occur:

0. Popup YEs/No window asks if you REALLY want to merge the folders (and display them within the popup window)
1. If file(s) exist in the parent folder (d:\Docs\Invoices) they are renamed with a prefix of 0_
2. The file(s) within d:\Docs\Invoices\1 are renamed with a prefix of 1_
3. The file(s) within d:\Docs\Invoices\2 are renamed with a prefix of 2_
4. The file(s) within d:\Docs\Invoices\1 are renamed with a prefix of 3_
5. The file(s) within d:\Docs\Invoices\1 are renamed with a prefix of 4_

After the file(s) have been renamed (to make them unique filenames), the contents of the four subfolders (1, 2, 3, 4) are moved into their parent folder (d:\Docs\Invoices). Once the files are moved, each of the four subfolders (1, 2, 3, 4) are then deleted and the screen then displays the contents of the parent folder (d:\Docs\Invoices), where you could then use the Multi-Rename feature to rename them according to your need.

I found a VERY old command line utility that does this, but it is dangerous to use, as it doesn't prompt you with a Yes/No window - so if the current pane's focus is a level up than the other pane, you can make a BIG mistake very quickly (i.e. move the contents of every subfolder into the root folder - ask me how I know); it also doesn't rename files within folders as a safeguard against overwriting files.

Thoughts?