587 - /ini causes unwanted Desktop tabs

Bugs and issues - current donor version.
INL27

587 - /ini causes unwanted Desktop tabs

#1 Post by INL27 » 26.04.2012, 20:01

I've been wresting with using ini configuration files this since I originally started using the FC XE beta version. The problem is that each time FC closes and saves, and then reopens, Desktop tabs get created and accumulate in the left panel. This only happens when using /ini= parameter. It seems that FC prefers to use the c:\users\name\Local Settings\FreeCommanderXE. I run most of my apps off D:\apps\inuse\. In FC settings under "Start program" the "FreeCommander start folder" option is selected. The "Currently used folder:" section shows "D:\Apps\InUse\FreeCommander\SETTINGS". FreeCommander.ini is in the SETTINGS sub-folder of the FC installation folder.

I created 2 shortcuts to FreeCommander, both going to D:\Apps\InUse\FreeCommander\FreeCommander.exe . One of them uses the parameter /ini=FreeCommander.ini and the other one doesn't.

FCstart.ini is in the root of the FC folder and can contain freeCommanderIniDir=D:\Apps\InUse\FreeCommander or freeCommanderIniDir=%FcSrcPath%\SETTINGS or freeCommanderIniDir=D:\Apps\InUse\FreeCommander\SETTINGS . The problem remains the same. I have found no way to direct FC to use ini setting files on my D drive without the creation of unwanted Desktop tabs as I've mentioned.

As an FYI, I use various settings (INIs) to suit my needs so this is a real problem for me. I have gotten around it by using the c:\users\name\Local Settings\FreeCommanderXE directory, which FC will happily default to. That is a problem for me since I use multiple computers that sync up to a common directory and file structure with the related settings being kept in the application directory. Any help would be appreciated.

INL27

Re: 587 - /ini causes unwanted Desktop tabs

#2 Post by INL27 » 29.04.2012, 21:02

Problem still present in 590

funkist

#3 Post by funkist » 17.04.2017, 15:38

Hi INL27, I had a very similar problem up until just now. While I was googling for the issue, I discovered that FC XE 2017 Build 740 was released and updated my prior version 2016 Build 715. And it seems to be gone, now :-D

I was not using the /ini switch but each time I started my portable FC from a folder on the d: drive, the active tab showed the contents of the user's desktop folder instead of the contents of folder that was open when closing it. The folder title was still showing correctly. After tabbing to another open tab and back, the folder contents were showing correctly. On another computer were I start from a folder on the c: drive, there was no issue. Exact same, copied settings.

Again: seems to be fixed with build 740. Thank you FC Team!

INL27

#4 Post by INL27 » 17.04.2017, 21:30

Hi Funkist, thank you for the post. It's good to hear that I was not the only one who noticed a similar problem to the one I encountered. I did a work around for a while and then at some point I noticed that it was working properly. I use FreeCommander as an tool to to pull up relevant folder tabs that relate to what I'm going to next work on. I am quickly reminded of what folders I need to work within and where I last left off. It's really reduced the time I have to spend to deal with issues that are complex but which I only deal with occasionally. I added a "By Subject" grouping of links such as Autohotkey, or Firefox, or Kodi, or Images, or Icons... Basically everything that important to me has a FreeCommander INI. FreeCommander is very versatile and has made my life much easier. Kudos to Marek and thanks again for the post!