Column width changes when file is renamed

Bugs and issues - current donor version.
reokubo

Column width changes when file is renamed

#1 Post by reokubo » 13.08.2012, 02:34

My current column width setting for Name is narrower than the length of the file name. So I manually increase the column width wider than the existing file name. When I rename the file, the column width goes back to the original narrow column width. I think that when the width is changed manually, the width should not change based on a file operation, but only when changed again manually. Is this a bug, or behavior as designed?

Scott_Y

Re: Column width changes when file is renamed

#2 Post by Scott_Y » 13.08.2012, 06:03

I presume you have set View menu > Details (otherwise you don't get columns).

You could go to Settings > View > Custom Columns.
Select a view set (or create one if necessary), then click the Define Columns button.
Change the setting of Autosize For Name Column box (check it if empty, or clear it if checked).
Let me know if that helps.

Something to keep in mind for any situation where you want to easily view all columns is the keyboard shortcut "Auto Resize Columns." The default is Ctrl+Alt+Num +, though I have changed mine to Ctrl+N because it is much easier on a notebook keyboard without a number keypad.

inglorious

#3 Post by inglorious » 13.08.2012, 22:54

I also stumbled upon this setting. by default Max. column width for list is set to 0 thus the width varies and depends on the file length. instead of "0" I suggest to set this as default setting to ~22 as in other FM eg. SC.
Win7x64

Scott_Y

#4 Post by Scott_Y » 14.08.2012, 02:23

inglorious wrote:... by default Max. column width for list is set to 0 thus the width varies and depends on the file length. instead of "0" I suggest to set this as default setting to ~22 as in other FM eg. SC.
Thanks, inglorious. I've never paid attention to that before.

For the sake of reference: it is found in Settings > View > File/Folder List > General tab.
Put the number in the spinner box for Max. Column Width For List View.