672 - Problem renaming files on network drives

Bugs and issues - current donor version.
AimHere

672 - Problem renaming files on network drives

#1 Post by AimHere » 08.10.2014, 13:12

FCXE 6.72, 64-bit, on Windows 7 SP1 64-bit.

Occasionally, when renaming files on a network drive (e.g. "\\somecomputer\folder\file"), I'll get an error saying that the file cannot be renamed because the file is open in a program. But the program that it says that the file is open in, is FreeCommander itself!

If I try again, I'll just get the same message. Even if I close FCXE and launch a new instance of it, then try again, I still get the error trying to rename that same file. The only way I can use FCXW to rename the file at this point is to shut down and restart Windows completely before making another attempt. So it appears there is a "lock" placed on the file that can only be cleared by restarting the computer.

What's interesting is that I can use Windows Explorer to rename the same file, even while FXCE is still running (and in spite of having already gotten the error in FCXE). So the "lock" is ONLY affecting FCXE.

This seems to happen when I am rapidly hopping between folders on the networked drive and renaming files one at a time. That is, I'll rename a file, switch to a different folder, rename another file, repeat a number of times. Also note, before I get the error message, FXCE's file-rename status window appears on-screen for several seconds, with the progress bar not moving (normally, renaming a single file is pretty much instant and the status window never even appears).

If it makes any difference, the networked computer on which the files are being renamed, is a Synology DiskStation NAS box, which runs some flavor of Linux.

Aimhere

AimHere

Re: 672 - Problem renaming files on network drives

#2 Post by AimHere » 30.12.2014, 18:37

More information:

I find that when I get the "file can't be renamed because the file is open in FreeCommander" error, if I click "Retry" I then (sometimes) get "file can't be renamed because the file is open in another program". And if I click "Retry" on THAT, the file is renamed successfully. Other times, I don't get the second error, and clicking "Retry" on the first one works.

It appears that merely entering/displaying a networked folder causes a brief lock on all the files in it, a lock which isn't cleared quickly enough, so when I immediately rename one or more of the files, I get the error.

I can't tell if this lock condition is being caused by FreeCommander, or by Windows itself. Note, however, that I can't seem to get the error to happen when performing the same type of rename operation in Windows Explorer. In Explorer, no matter how quickly I open a folder, select a file, and rename it, the operation completes immediately and without error.

Whatever's causing the error, it's pretty annoying, to say the least.