"Search in archives" does not work for "*.docx" etc.

Bugs and issues - current donor version.
HansS

"Search in archives" does not work for "*.docx" etc.

#1 Post by HansS » 20.07.2016, 17:34

1. The FC search does not find text in e.g. "*.docx", "*.xlsm", even if "Search in archives" is enabled, and even if I enter "*" or "*.docx" in "Archive files filter:".

If I extract the "*.docx", "*.xlsm" with 7z and repeat the search, then the text is found in the subfolders from unzip - which proves that FC must find the text if "Search in archives" would work for "*.docx", "*.xlsm".

2. If "Search in archives" is improved to work for "*.docx" etc., then two different options are needed: It should be possible to turn search in "*.docx" etc. on and off independent of search in "*.zip" etc. I expect that often search in "*.docx" etc. is needed without search in "*.zip", but is must be possible to turn additional the search in "*.zip" etc. on, without the need to edit different and long "Archive files filter" strings.

FreeCommander XE 2016 Build 724 64-bit donor, Win7-64 pro SP1

Timon

Re: "Search in archives" does not work for "*.docx" etc.

#2 Post by Timon » 20.07.2016, 18:04

Works fine for me in 725 even without "Archive files filter"

Tried to find text in xlsx file. File was found without any problems.

Check whether you have active archiver plugins in Tools - Settings... Archiver plugins - WCX tab

As for me, I use Total7Zip, fcRAR and fcZip plugins (note, that the order of plugins is very important in FC XE).

But I agree that it would be nice to make new option, for example, like in Total Commander - "Find text in: Office xml (docx, xlsx, odt, etc) + EPUB" to make searches only in office formats, excluding regular archives.

Marek
Author
Author

#3 Post by Marek » 20.07.2016, 20:56

Searching in the Office files is possible if you have defined Converter in the Search dialog.

HansS

#4 Post by HansS » 21.07.2016, 20:48

1. I know that I could use converters (in the donor version), but external tools may not always be available (e.g. if I start FC from stick on other PCs), and starting external tools slow down the search, so searching in office documents simply as archive should also be supported.

1.1 The "Converter" tab should have a marker if some converter is active, like the "Timestamp/Size/Attr" and "Filters" tabs, and/or there should be checkboxes on the main tab ("Location") to turn "Timestamp/Size/Attr", "Filters" and "Converter" on or off.

2. I have "Archiver plugins" as they were from default:

fcZip, tip.jar.war, 607

fcRar, rar, 68

2.1 I copied the *.docx to *.docx.zip, and the search found the text in this *.docx.zip with "Search in archives", so "Archiver plugins" are working as expected.

2.2 I then added "*" as "Archive files filter", which should (according to my understanding) detect *.docx as archive, but still nothing is found in *.docx.

2.3 I added *.docx as "Archive files filter", which should treat *.docx as zip, but still nothing is found in *.docx (and nothing found in *.docx.zip).

2.4 I added .docx in "Archiver plugins" as extension for fcZip: Text found in *.docx. So in general it's working, but "Archive files filter" setting is not working as expected, and there is still the "problem" that it should be easily possible to turn search in *.docx etc. as archive on and off independent from search in *.zip etc. (at least in the donor version, if you don't want to make searching in *.docx etc. too easy for users who don't pay for FC).

2.5 Adding .docx.docm.dotx.dotm.pptm.pptx.xlsx.xlsm as extension for fcZip is not useful, because double click on e.g. *.docx then opens the file as archive instead of open with Word. And it's also not possible to add entry for fc_internal_zip twice, first for .zip and second for .docx.docm.dotx.dotm.pptm.pptx.xlsx.xlsm, which would allow to turn the different entries on and off as needed (which would not be very practical but better than nothing).

2.6 Adding .do?? (for docx, docm,dotx,dotm) as extension for fcZip does not work.