Access Violation error message / non-existing paths

Bugs and issues - current donor version.
omerfree

Access Violation error message / non-existing paths

#1 Post by omerfree » 22.04.2008, 23:53

When closing a non existing folder (e.g - the host computer is offline), the following error message is shown:

"Access violation at address 00472143 in module 'FreeCommander.exe' Read of address 000001B4."

edit: there is a general problem when loaing FreeCommander with non-existing directories tabs. e.g. - if you used a remote share or UNC such as \\192.168.1.1\c$, then locked the tab, then closed FC, then disconnected the remote computer and finally re-loads FC - you'll have access violation and FC won't function correctly. It is also impossible to close FC with the X or alr-f4. You must use task manager. It seems that only the pane with the non-existing paths is affected.

edit: it will be possible to "re-birth" FC (as you can't work with it anymore after the above) by editing the init file (freecommander.ini) and delete all non-exisiting entries from affected panes.

FC shoul be able to disable such tabs or enable refreshing un-reachable paths so the user can know if it is available or not.
Omer.

Marek
Author
Author

#2 Post by Marek » 27.04.2008, 22:39

If you can reproduce AV, please use the debug version and create report for me.

omerfree

Av test

#3 Post by omerfree » 27.04.2008, 23:02

I am afraid it won't "work" with the test I am doing now. I ;ll try using my laptop some other day, connect to a remote path and try to reproduce it again.

While testing, I saw something else that is a bit annoying: the time out for non-existing paths is a bit high....you wait too much before showing the "directory not found" error message.

Maybe it is possible to lower the timeout to only few seconds ? (say, 5-10 sec.) or maybe allow defining the timeout before an error message appears.

Thank you.
Omer.