Delete large files in large directories takes ages / freezes FC

Bugs and issues - current donor version.
ralf_hh

Delete large files in large directories takes ages / freezes FC

#1 Post by ralf_hh » 21.11.2017, 12:02

FreeCommander XE 2017 Build 741 64-bit donor, Win7pro - 64bit Build 6701 SP1. German language.

I have several folders with a large number of files, from 3K to 100k. Whenever I delete a file from one of these folders, FC will freeze for a considerable amount of time up to several minutes. The duration of the freeze seems to be dependent on the numbers of files in the directory as well as on the type of files. Video/Audio files, when being deleted, will make FC freeze a lot longer than small text files. It seems to me that FC does some directory refresh when deleting, reading deep into the file information which would explain why complex files result in a longer freeze than simple ones.

I use the Windows delete method which may important because Windows Explorer will execute the same delete much faster. So I have to attribute the delays to something that FC does while Windows Explorer does not.

In my FC file browser window only file name, date, size and type are displayed, no fancy items like resolution, bit rate, duration and such which might require a deeper look into each file why refreshing the window after a delete. Thus, a delete should be executed at a glance which my copy of FC is miles away from.

The problem has been persistent for a couple of FC builds, so it is nothing that came with a recent update. I am using FC for a couple of years now and to my best knowledge the bug/problem has always been there.

pOpY

Re: Delete large files in large directories takes ages / freezes FC

#2 Post by pOpY » 21.11.2017, 15:37

+1 Ill think it has todo that the delete shell proccess isnt startet in another thread or async.
That same issue was with "windows copy" method some time ago and was fixed (dont remember which version).
Here is also a rather old bug report: viewtopic.php?t=788
but ill think its the same issue.

@Marek: Is it possible to use the same mechanism as on "windows copy" on the "windows delete" shell function/dialog?

thx
pOpY

Dreamer
Site Admin

#3 Post by Dreamer » 21.11.2017, 22:22

I think it was changed few builds ago, please upgrade to last available version (762 donor or 760 public).

pOpY

#4 Post by pOpY » 22.11.2017, 12:52

Ill have the 762 donor x64 version and the issue is not solved.

@Marek: Any chance of getting a fix?

thx
pOpY

Dreamer
Site Admin

#5 Post by Dreamer » 22.11.2017, 21:07

Could you provide some steps to reproduce, use default settings, number of files, folders, using list or details view, plain view? OS?

Marek
Author
Author

#6 Post by Marek » 22.11.2017, 21:13

Yes, I need all what Dreamer say and freecommander.ini.

ralf_hh

#7 Post by ralf_hh » 24.11.2017, 08:44

I don't find a way to attach files here. Am I to send the .ini and the other stuff via E-Mail? Thanks for your support.

ralf_hh

#9 Post by ralf_hh » 28.11.2017, 10:16

I am still trying to find out under which condition FC hangs when deleting. Even in the same directory, it does not always happen, but when it happens it is extremely annoying. Made me put a hotkey in my task bar that kills and restarts FC. I shall be back if I have some more data of which circumstances cause FC to hang and I shall e-mail the requested files then.