"Start with last used folders" doesn't work

Bugs and other issues or requests which have been resolved.
Ike

"Start with last used folders" doesn't work

#1 Post by Ike » 05.03.2020, 09:51

I've reported this before, but so far no response.

Please check/review the "Start with last used folders" implementation. Very often it doesn't seem to work. Very often my FC opens with a set of folders not from the last session, but from a session days earlier. It looks like FC doesn't always store the list of open folders when it's closed.

(Usually my FC is closed automatically by logging off from Windows, instead of closing it manually)

FreeCommander XE 2020 Build 813 64-bit donor

ralfso

Re: "Start with last used folders" doesn't work

#2 Post by ralfso » 05.03.2020, 12:14

Ike wrote: 05.03.2020, 09:51 (Usually my FC is closed automatically by logging off from Windows, instead of closing it manually)
I think, thats the problem. FC hasn't the time to save the setting. It's closed by "end task" from windows.
Regards
Ralf

Win10 (64-bit), Intel i7-2600 (3,4 GHz), 8 GB Ram, 500 GB SSD, 2x2000 GB HD, NVIDIA GeForce 545

Dreamer
Site Admin

#3 Post by Dreamer » 05.03.2020, 21:26

If you're not using layouts, try to use them - and use also the option to auto save current layout.

Workaround, create some command to first close FC and then shut down pc and create a desktop shortcut for this command (or perhaps FC button could be created too).

Alternative for this could be external tool like HotkeyP, of course, it's just a workaround too, you can use "Multi command", first close FC, or even "Save settings", close FC, shut down pc. It's possible to add more commands there and assign it to any keyboard shortcut + confirmation dialog, or tray menu item.

Ike

#4 Post by Ike » 06.03.2020, 09:00

When a user shuts down the Windows session Windows will notify all running application with a WM_QUERYENDSESSION (and later WM_ENDSESSION) message. It would be great if you can see, in a future release, if you can store the open folder list (and any other housekeeping that's done on application close) during that message.

In the mean time I will try the layout suggestion.

Thanks

Marek
Author
Author

#5 Post by Marek » 07.03.2020, 22:04

I have made some changes in the release 814 and it seems to works right now.

Ike

#6 Post by Ike » 20.03.2020, 11:04

Thanks Marek,

I just installed 816. If I notice any more issues with the last-used-folders functionality I'll report back.

RobDownUnder

#7 Post by RobDownUnder » 16.01.2021, 02:29

This may help (as an alternative solution)
I was always depending/insisting on programs (such as file managers) remembering my last opened folders.
I purchased DO (Directory Opus) a while back, and could not get that program to do what i wanted reliably.
Not helped by the fact that it was impossible to prevent DO opening another instance(s) when it felt like it.
I had many discussions with the developers, to no avail.
I later came across a DO feature which it calls 'Groups'
That effectively allows you to create Bookmarks (with sub folders within the Bookmark tree)
I have created a few entries therein, and have grown to love that feature.
If I have opened a couple of extra Tabs within any group, and wish that group to remember them, I right click the Tab bar, and choose Save from the Group's context menu.
I used to be manic about my file managers remembering my last used Tabs, but I am now very happy with DO's Group solution.
FreeCommander has a Favorites feature, which I have yet to explore to see if it is as good as DO's Group solution.
If there was one extra enhancement I could request to DO's Group solution, it would be an OPTION to get DO to AUTOMATICALLY save any extra Tabs that I had opened during that Group's session.

I am a very old dog (79), and yet I was taught a new trick,
Rob