825 - View and Tools menu disappeard + very small layout

Bugs and other issues or requests which have been resolved.
gordynorth

825 - View and Tools menu disappeard + very small layout

#1 Post by gordynorth » 04.08.2020, 16:55

I installed FC 825 version and to my surprise when FC restarted the layout is very small and the view and tools menu items are missing. I uninstalled version 825 and went back to version 824 now this version is also now very small layout with the view and tools menu items missing.
I notice that when FC starts up I see a larger layout but that disappears and the small layout is displayed.
I also tried a previous setting from a backup but still the same behaviour.
I am running Windows 10
Microsoft Windows 10 Home 64bit
OS Version: 10.0.18363 N/A Build 18363
----------------------
Gordon - Montreal, Canada

Dreamer
Site Admin

Re: 825 - View and Tools menu disappeard + very small layout

#2 Post by Dreamer » 04.08.2020, 23:12

Strange, here is the similar topic:

Action bar too narrow - FreeCommander Forum

FAQ How to show your menu: https://freecommander.com/en/faq-main-m ... enMainMenu

Try to right click and unlock the toolbars, right click the toolbar and click to "Lock toolbars" (to remove the [v] checkbox), then try to move the toolbars a bit and lock it again, perhaps it could help - this option is available, only when using "many toolbars" in Define action toolbars - General options tab - you can find in right clicking any toolbar, even splitter bar.

Perhaps you could try to check the option "Show menu as toolbar" temporary, then disable it, it's at the same tab "General options".

Screenshot could help here.
Dreamer wrote: 29.06.2013, 12:45
  • Sometimes it's useful to make a screenshot of the problem. You can use the integrated FreeCommander feature (menu > Tools > Desktop Snapshot), or one of many free tools available on the Internet, or just the integrated Windows feature - press PrintScreen to make a screenshot, then open any image editor, e.g. Paint, press Ctrl+V to paste, save it and upload it to https://postimages.org/ , or https://imgur.com/ for example. Do not place large screenshots in the forum, use the links, or thumbnails instead. Please use the English language for screenshots, you can use /Lng=English command line parameter.
  • The donor can send the request for upload possibility via e-mail.

gordynorth

#3 Post by gordynorth » 05.08.2020, 18:38

This is my first ticket against FC. In the past FC has been so stable.

Here is a screen shot of my app below.
Notice the menu, I cannot get to the full settings menu since the Tools menu is not available. I tried to expand the menu and tried what was suggested with no success.

I tried the debugging option using /N /NewIni=%FcAppDataPath%\TestSettings\FreeCommander.ini /NoPlugins /Lng=English same effect.

I have a 4K monitor (3840 x 2160) and to help me see the screen I use the Scale and Layout of 150%, if I change it back to 100% the layout is back to what it normally is, when I change it back to 150% the menu cutoff and the small layout returns. Even better, when I drag the window to my other monitor HD (1920 x 1080) FC displays correctly. I will use my HD monitor until this issue is resolved.
Screen shot of my Scale and Layout Image
----------------------

Marek
Author
Author

#4 Post by Marek » 05.08.2020, 22:44

Please try the current release 826.
I work with two monitors. Primary 3840x2160 with 200% scaling and secondary 1920x1200 with 100% scaling. I use it on Windows 10 version 2004.
Currently FreeCommander support high dpi for one monitor (primary).
I have with this configuration no problems, works fine. On the primary monitor FC scales itself. If I move the window to secondary monitor - Windows scales FC window.
What would I do / check:
- update to the current Windows 10 version 2004 (Microsoft is making many improvements for scaling)
- check the property of your used FreeCommander.exe file; you can find here "Compatibility" tab with high DPI settings.
Currently, from the version 825, you do not need set here any option but maybe in your case (old Windows version, primary monitor 100% scaling) you can try to set "Scaling performed by : System"

Dreamer
Site Admin

#5 Post by Dreamer » 05.08.2020, 22:52

Just a workaround, you can access the settings window with F12 and you can create a toolbar button "Show main menu as popup menu", there should be all items there.

gordynorth

#6 Post by gordynorth » 13.08.2020, 03:11

Hello again,
I temporarily solved my problem by keeping FC on the HD display instead of the 4K display.

Now I installed version 826 and thank you; FC no longer changes when I display FC on my 4K display. Thank you for fixing my issue.

How do I close this ticket?
----------------------

Dreamer
Site Admin

#7 Post by Dreamer » 13.08.2020, 21:32

No need to do anything, I'll close it - move to "Resolved Bugs, Issues, Requests".