Default keyboard shortcuts changes

Bugs and other issues or requests which have been resolved.
Marek
Author
Author

Re: Default keyboard shortcuts changes

#31 Post by Marek » 22.09.2012, 15:03

F8 - is unassigned? Why? I suggest "New text file" again
F8 was the FC shortcut for DELETE for many years.
It is unsafe assign it now to " new file".

Dreamer
Site Admin

#32 Post by Dreamer » 22.09.2012, 15:21

Marek wrote:
I disagree, it would be unsafe vice versa, this way a new dialog with the clear text is displayed, so it is safe IMO and it's better than unassigned.

Everyone who is using F8 for DELETE can use it with his old ini or shc files, this option would be ONLY for the new users and it's much better to use "new text file" with dialog than "delete" without dialog (sometimes).

Moreover, I think F8 key to delete use mostly advanced users only, so it's easy to change it for them.

Marek
Author
Author

#33 Post by Marek » 22.09.2012, 20:16

it would be unsafe vice versa
Of course you are right, my mistake.

What is your scenario for using "New text file" Ctrl+Shift+N hotkey?
I never use Ctrl+Shift+N.

Dreamer
Site Admin

#34 Post by Dreamer » 22.09.2012, 21:28

If you mean to use it as additional shortcut, I think it's not needed, I have changed it from the start to F8, so just replace the old shortcut with F8 IMO.

Regarding F9, I have the same opinion as before, since we don't have a GUI option to change the settings:
F9 - toggles between list view and details, I suggest to add thumbnails view
So toggle between:

list > details > thumbnails

Advanced users can use the ini option to use only list<>details, list<>thumbs or details<>thumbs.

Marek
Author
Author

#35 Post by Marek » 22.09.2012, 22:02

If you mean to use it as additional shortcut, I think it's not needed, I have changed it from the start to F8, so just replace the old shortcut with F8 IMO.
You have do not answered my question :).
I mean "New text file" is not important enough for F8. I would like to preserve F8 for the future.
Regarding F9, I have the same opinion as before, since we don't have a GUI option to change the settings
The mostly users use list or details as view. Thumbnails view is sensible for folders with pictures. Why should I toggle to thumbnail view in docs or music folder? It cost time - some users have slow PCs.

Dreamer
Site Admin

#36 Post by Dreamer » 22.09.2012, 22:43

OK, I got it, however...

I don't use single view at all, so F10 is useless for me.

I suggest F8 or F10 for "Plain view - files , folders", it's near F9 (toggle views) and this would toggle plain view. I have suggested this one in the first post of this topic for F10.

So if you agree, we should decide which shortcut and which plain view mode should be used:

F8 or F10?
"Plain view - files , folders" or "Plain view - files" or "Plain view - folders"?

Since the shortcut Ctrl+B is quite stable, I suggest F8 and "Plain view - files , folders".

Of course, here the opinion of other users is more than welcome, we can change the default shortcuts, the point is to make it easy and intuitive for most (normal, new) users.

Edit: Few more suggestions:

F8 - Plain view - files , folders

or...

F8 - "Containers" *
F9 - Toggle views
F10 - Plain view - files , folders

* I still miss the option "quick container", single hotkey to toggle the quick container content and the previous path.

or...

F8 - Toggle views
F9 - Plain view (files or files, folders)
F10 - Quick filter (toggle)

This way all the shortcuts from F8 to F11 (fullscreen) would affect the view somehow.
Ctrl+Y is not easy to use (on qwerty keyboards) and the plain view + quick filter are used together often, because there are too many files displayed, so filter to quickly find what you want is useful.

Perhaps you could preserve the original shortcuts, at least for quick filter, but I think these shortcuts would be quite useful...

Marek
Author
Author

#37 Post by Marek » 22.09.2012, 23:06

I don't use single view at all, so F10 is useless for me.
I do not use it too but I think F10 is very good choice for switching dual/single view. All the new users - coming from Explorer - want first switch to single view. I think F10 is great introduction for working with two panels.

I am not sure if we need shortcut for "Plain view - files , folders". It is very special view, I think - not frequently used. I use for me Shift+Ctrl+Alt+B.

Dreamer
Site Admin

#38 Post by Dreamer » 22.09.2012, 23:25

I use "Plain view - files , folders" quite often, I have change the Ctrl+B shortcut for this option, because I can see all folders, sometimes there are many folders with the files, folders have the full names, but the files are shorten, so the plain view - files is useless in this case.

I know it's not easy to decide, we need more opinions, perhaps a poll?

Scott_Y

#39 Post by Scott_Y » 24.09.2012, 06:09

Dreamer wrote:"Containers" *
* I still miss the option "quick container", single hotkey to toggle the quick container content and the previous path.
Containers is currently rather difficult to access. Note this post as well viewtopic.php?f=5&t=4549
I don't have an opinion about what key might be used, just highlighting containers as a worthy candidate for shortcut access.

Lasse

#40 Post by Lasse » 15.03.2021, 21:23

Can someone please help me how to make F8 a shortcut for delete?

I want FC to be as much alike TC as possible
Dreamer wrote: 22.09.2012, 15:21
Marek wrote:
I disagree, it would be unsafe vice versa, this way a new dialog with the clear text is displayed, so it is safe IMO and it's better than unassigned.

Everyone who is using F8 for DELETE can use it with his old ini or shc files, this option would be ONLY for the new users and it's much better to use "new text file" with dialog than "delete" without dialog (sometimes).

Moreover, I think F8 key to delete use mostly advanced users only, so it's easy to change it for them.

Dreamer
Site Admin

#41 Post by Dreamer » 15.03.2021, 22:02

Lasse wrote: 15.03.2021, 21:23Can someone please help me how to make F8 a shortcut for delete?

I want FC to be as much alike TC as possible
https://freecommander.com/en/faq-keyboa ... d-shortcut

Now you can assign even 2 different shortcuts, so you can use both, Del and F8 for delete.

Next time use a new topic for new problem please. This topic is closed.