Disable Single Click Selection ?

Bugs and other issues or requests which have been resolved.
Fad

Disable Single Click Selection ?

#1 Post by Fad » 19.07.2016, 18:18

Using NC-Mode

I want to disable the selection of any item when single clicking it.

How can I do this and make the behaviour the same as release 723 ?

When a single click Focuses an item and where I can also "drag and select" in free space.

(Maybe it is not possible - if so, I can stay with version 723)
Last edited by Fad on 22.07.2016, 23:10, edited 1 time in total.

Timon

Re: Disable Single Click Selection ?

#2 Post by Timon » 19.07.2016, 19:38

In version above 723 you should note what you click.
Now you can use different behavoiur if you click 'extension or free space in label' or 'item icon'. If you click any other space, you see previous behaviour.
You can set for both options in Tools - Settings... - Select items
- By click on extension or free space in label
Focus item (NC-mode only)
and
- By click on item icon
Focus item (NC-mode only)
and behavoiur would be the same as in 723.

Dreamer
Site Admin

#3 Post by Dreamer » 19.07.2016, 19:45

You can change it here:
(BTW it's a very useful feature, just need time...)

EDIT: I'm late. :)
Attachments
fc1Screenshot_07192016_193932.png

Fad

#4 Post by Fad » 19.07.2016, 19:54

Thankyou Timon (edit: and Dreamer) for replying, I tried those and it didn`t quite work :cry:

You see I must have this option set to "selection by dragging"

If I turn that off and Choose "Focus" instead, then I cannot drag/select.

I think I may be doomed.

Dreamer
Site Admin

#5 Post by Dreamer » 19.07.2016, 20:11

It's just important for left click selecting and dragging within the extension area, this is the useful feature I like, because you can use multiple such selections just using a single mouse button, no ctrl/shift needed.

You can still use "classic" selection by dragging, but you need to use these options, second is not needed, but it's much easier with this one:

- enable "Enable selection by mouse dragging"
- disable "Full row select"

And it's even easier with this option:

- enable "Theme off"

Fad

#6 Post by Fad » 19.07.2016, 20:40

Thankyou Dreamer.

I have just tested a few different settings as you specified and now I realise why I left "Full Row Select" enabled, I prefer that to be available.

The method of selection without Full Row is a little unusual to me.

Also, I still have the old issue happen where sometimes an item will be automatically selected when I enter a folder:
It`s random and not reproducible.

So for the time being at least, I will revert back to 723 as I am so accustomed to the original ways of operation.

~ I have always had "Theme Off" ticked - I have never been able to tell what the difference is when it is off or on !

Dreamer
Site Admin

#7 Post by Dreamer » 19.07.2016, 22:06

Are you sure it was different in 723? What exactly is different, perhaps few more screenshots, old/new version.

Theme off affects the selection and full row option, it's a bit different without it - you need to restart FC for this change - and for some others too, even if it's not mentioned.

Fad

#8 Post by Fad » 19.07.2016, 22:44

It`s quite strange what I can see when testing, with the current settings I have,
some items will be selected when I click on them and others will not select at all...

some will not unselect either... this is testing with both Theme On and Off.

~~~~

Testing 723 again,

I can single click on any item, anywhere on the full length of the entry in the list and it does not auto-select, just Focuses it
(clicking on another item focuses that and so on - only one ever has focus and never auto-selects)

also I can click and drag anywhere inside the highlighted area (pink) and quickly make a selection (or de-selection) with the mouse

I use the full width of the items as a "button" to click easily and quickly.
(Clicking on a file name or folder allows me to drag to copy or move - I do not select items over the filenames)

With 725 I must click on the filename itself or at least drag a box across them to be sure they are included.

This may seem very silly to want to have the old method back but it`s the exact same way I have been using FC since the beginning :wink:

Fad

#9 Post by Fad » 22.07.2016, 23:09

Thankyou Marek

It seems whatever you did in 726 fixed the issues and it all works as expected now !

Dreamer
Site Admin

Re: Disable Single Click Selection ? (fixed)

#10 Post by Dreamer » 21.05.2017, 20:28

Topic re-opened. -Dreamer
Copy of the reply from Fad from another topic (edited by Dreamer)
Fad wrote:The problems are the same as in the previous thread (this topic)

Which was fixed for 726...but have now (746) reappeared.

I don`t need new features so do not want to cause a fuss about it - I will stay with the old one.
It's not good to use old version, for several reasons, if there's a known bug, it should be fixed, especially if it was fixed once already and it's possible to fix it.

Are you using NC-mode?
Are you using "open file/folder with single click" option?
It looks you're using "full row select", right - and you want to use this option?
Are you using "theme off" option?

I'll try to test a bit and will reply here...

Dreamer
Site Admin

#11 Post by Dreamer » 21.05.2017, 21:16

OK, I think I know what you want, try this in 746 (BTW you can use two portable FC installations at once, just unpack the new version to different folder and copy the settings to the new folder):

In the Settings > Select items > General - use these options:

[v] Enable selection by mouse dragging

By click... (both options)
"Open item (If open...)"

[v] Full row select
[v] Theme off (need program restart)

It works good without NC-mode, you can also click and drag in free space to deselect.
It works also in NC mode, but this quick deselect doesn't work.

Note: you need to click the Apply button when you enable or disable NC-mode, or restart FC, it's not changed if you click just OK.

Fad

#12 Post by Fad » 22.05.2017, 11:15

Dreamer, Thanks for the assistance.

This morning I have tested the settings you described above...

and in addition to these settings on the NC options tab (shown here), everything is almost back to normal.
These extra settings were not in previous builds.

The only thing that is different now, is that previously I could "select with the mouse" multiple files by
starting to click anywhere in this area for any file or folder - highlighted in RED

With the new version (746) I can NOT begin to select files by clicking anywhere in that red area ^

As seen on the image above, I have temporarily added some extra blank space after the SIZE column....
(usually it would just be enough for a vertical scrollbar to appear so not to interfere with the columns and make them move)

I can click in there and 'drag to select' multiple items but it is not as convenient as using the space immediately after the filename.

It is much quicker and more accurate to multi-select when the mouse pointer is immediately next to, or near the filename.

If this could be reverted back to how it was - like it was fixed last time, that would be great.

I hope all that made sense ?

Dreamer
Site Admin

#13 Post by Dreamer » 22.05.2017, 19:38

This is possible in 746, as I said before, use these options and restart FC...
Settings > Select items > General - use these options:

"Open item (If open...)"

[v] Full row select

Fad

#14 Post by Fad » 22.05.2017, 21:58

Thanks...

I have done that exactly as shown - but to enable mouse-drag selection I must also enable these options in the NC options tab:

If I do NOT choose the "Select Item (Important if you want selection by mouse dragging)"....then dragging will not work

BUT, when I do choose that option, this causes some problems:

1. When I single click on a file or folder it becomes 'Selected' - it should be "Focused" instead, like before.

2. When I double-click on a folder to open it - the folder or file inside (exactly underneath where the mouse clicked) will be automatically 'Selected'
(before, the top item in the list would just be 'Focused' ...nothing would ever be 'Selected')

The ability to drag-select really does work with those settings - but these extra unusual tricks start happening, when they didn`t before :cry:

Dreamer
Site Admin

#15 Post by Dreamer » 22.05.2017, 22:42

OK, third time...
Settings > Select items > General - use these options:

[v] Full row select

NC-Mode tab:

"Open item (If open...)"
Do NOT use the option "Select item (Important...)", it's for another FC feature, not for that what you need. Use "Open item" option (NC-Mode tab), it will be working as "focus" if you don't use the single click options, perhaps it's another inconsistency. It looks it works the same if you are using "Focus item" instead of "Open item".

Then use those other options from "General" tab.

2. I can't reproduce this, please write exact steps to reproduce, it would be better if you'd start a new topic for this issue.