741 - Size of folders (Alt+F9) stopped working

Bugs and other issues or requests which have been resolved.
Zorkoff

741 - Size of folders (Alt+F9) stopped working

#1 Post by Zorkoff » 11.02.2017, 21:34

741 - Select a folder in the tree with sub-folders and press Alt+F9 and nothing happens.

This worked fine in Release 740 and previous releases I tested.

741 - Select a folder on the detail list and press "Space" or Ctl-F9 and the folder size is displayed correctly.

Marek
Author
Author

Re: 741 - Size of folders (Alt+F9) stopped working

#2 Post by Marek » 11.02.2017, 23:07

I think 740 and 741 works identical: set focus to file panel and use Alt+F9.

Zorkoff

#3 Post by Zorkoff » 12.02.2017, 19:26

Marek you are correct. Using Alt+F9 with a folder highlighted in the File Panel causes all the folders in that panel AND all the other folders that can be opened from the Folder Tree to display the folder sizes.

My problem was that when I opened Free Commander to my default folder, it was not clear that the File Panel had focus (only the tree folder had a highlight). So when I pressed Alt+F9 and all the folder sizes were shown in the File Panel, it appeared that the function was associated with the Tree Folder not the File Panel. That was my test of older versions and they all worked the same.

The fact that using Alt+F9 affects more than one folder, that is all folders in the tree display, it would be more consistent if highlighting a Tree Folder and pressing Alt+F9 gave the same result as the current behavior with the File Panel having focus. Therefore, if it is not too hard to implement, I would suggest changing the operation to work from the Tree Panel without having to give focus to the File Panel. You may take this suggestion as a feature request.

Also note that the documentation for Main Menu - Folder - Size of folders mentions the "Active Panel" and does not specify that this must be the "File Panel". So when there is a Tree per Panel the Tree is part of the "Active Panel" as identified by the highlighted address bar.

If there is one tree for both panels, the meaning is less clear, unless you made Alt+F9 display folder sizes for all folders in each File Panel globally (this might not be a bad idea anyway).

Whatever you decide, please know that I think Free Commander is the best file manager available and I tell everyone to check it out. Thank You!

Marek
Author
Author

#4 Post by Marek » 13.02.2017, 20:54

I see no reason why should it not works from the tree - changed for the next release.

Zorkoff

#5 Post by Zorkoff » 05.03.2017, 15:42

I tested this in Release 742 64-bit portable and it now works from the tree selection.

Thank you Marek!