Freezes on UNC path

Bugs and issues - current donor version.
Nova

Re: Freezes on UNC path

#16 Post by Nova » 15.11.2011, 08:52

Same here; strange, I have an UNC path where FC_XE freezes, and other paths where it doesn't... Old FC works on any path.
I would also add in here: yesterday I've been using FC XE (561) at home, where all of my network mapped drives are not accessible; FC hangs for some seconds on every operation (even on local drives, I mean).

BGM

Re: Freezes on UNC path -[PROGRESS!]

#17 Post by BGM » 30.01.2012, 23:37

There doesn't seem to be any hangs at all on a mapped drive, nor on *any* path that is saved in favourites, nor on *any* path set in my favourites toolbar dropdown lists. The hangs come from using the address bar, or activating an inactive tab that is set to a UNC path.

I also have the problem of when I mouse-over the addressbar, but it seems only to be if "Show hot button for subfolders" is checked in Settings/View/Address bar/General

I have discovered that if I disable that option, all the hangs go away! The tabs don't freeze anymore, and the buttons don't hang if I pass the mouse over the addressbar.

Try that and see if it works for you, too!
(Windows 10-1909 Professional 64bit)

BGM

#18 Post by BGM » 18.02.2012, 15:11

Okay, I think I got too excited. That workaround did seem to help things somewhat.

I don't seem to have the hangup any more when accessing network drives. Instead, it is a bit different, but related, I think.

I have the problem during daily, normal use. It happens every few minutes. After trying to see what actually reproduces the issue, I think it might be the drive bar. I can mouse around over any of the toolbars or tabs, or even the address bar, but in the course of mousing, if I mouse around over the drive-bar, then FC freezes with no reaction for about 10-15 seconds.

Now, another thing I notice is this: I have a nearby computer's folder mapped to my R: drive. If that computer is asleep, and I start FC, it will wake up that computer, even if I haven't accessed the R: drive in any of my tabs. So I am wondering if FC is, whilst I mouse-over the drive-bar, looking out to any network-mapped paths to check to see if they are listening - and that may be the lag I am experiencing.

Clues?

BGM

#19 Post by BGM » 18.02.2012, 21:07

Salvete! Okay, I disabled the drive bar completely, and now I have no freezes! FC no longer hangs when I pass the mouse anywhere. But I like the drive bar :( ...

Marek
Author
Author

#20 Post by Marek » 19.02.2012, 17:35

Please try the new option for "Drive hint visibility".
Please say us which options are usable for you now.

BGM

#21 Post by BGM » 19.02.2012, 20:14

Marek wrote:Please try the new option for "Drive hint visibility".
Please say us which options are usable for you now.
Say, that's right nice!
"Drive size info for fixed drives only" -works without freezes
"No Drive Size info" - works without freezes
"No Drive info" -works without freezes

However, I don't see any difference in the text of the status bar when I choose different options here. Where is the drive info supposed to be? In every mode I still get the size of the drive in the status bar, along with its free space, except on a root unc path, in which case it says ") Object(s) 0 bytes" regardless of the mode. UNC paths also never report the drive size in *any* mode - although I note that there is no option for "Show drive info on all adrives" - that is, there is no way to enable drive size on unc paths, anyway.

Conclusions:
I can't reproduce the former freezes anymore, no matter which options I select in the new box.
There seems to be no difference at all between the three modes offered in the new box.

Marek
Author
Author

#22 Post by Marek » 19.02.2012, 20:59

I don't see any difference in the text of the status bar
Not the status bar. Tooltips for the drives in drive bar.

BGM

#23 Post by BGM » 20.02.2012, 05:02

Oh - okay!

Well, I don't know what you did, but even with "Drive Info for Fixed Drives" selected, everything seems to be just fine now.
What was the matter, anyway? Was it trying to get drive info for network drives?

Marek
Author
Author

#24 Post by Marek » 21.02.2012, 22:01

Was it trying to get drive info for network drives?
I think, yes. Exactly - the drive size and free space.

BGM

SOLVED: Freezes on UNC path

#25 Post by BGM » 21.02.2012, 22:19

Marek, after using this for several days now, I can say that this issue is fixed.

However, on the topic of the tooltips - personally, I don't care for the tooltip directions, and don't see much value in choosing whether there is "no drive info" or "no drive size info".
I think there should be an option to show the context-menu directions, or to disable the tooltips altogether on the Drive Bar. Once I have used FC for a short while, the directions in the tooltips become, I think, quite redundant and somewhat annoying if I already remember what they say.

It doesn't make sense to specify "for fixed drives only" if there is no option for "all drives".

CodeWzrd

#26 Post by CodeWzrd » 05.03.2012, 21:36

I'm using Build 570 public preview and I also have this issue with FC freezing for 20+ seconds for UNC paths and if I've mapped the drive, it's around ~5 seconds before response comes back. Windows Explorer is near instantaneous (about 1-2 sec delay due to network) and same for the original FC build 2009.02b.

Danhild

#27 Post by Danhild » 05.04.2012, 18:20

Also use of Thumbnails on a UNC drive does not function.
I have tried any settings proposed via this forum, but it is still the same:
The thumbnails are starting loading, but reloads after 5 or 6 thumbnails. The reloading sequense never stops.