File Containers suggestions

Discussion and questions - donor version.
Dreamer
Site Admin

File Containers suggestions

#1 Post by Dreamer » 29.04.2012, 19:42

1. Better access to file containers, currently it's only address bar right click, menu, sub-menu item. Perhaps an item in the drives list, as option, "Show file containers as drive", use the next free number or another character.

2. [..] item for container folder content to go up.

3. Backspace key for container folder content to go up.

4. Options to select when the file container content should be saved/deleted:

[x] auto save file container content every [ 20 ] seconds

Delete file container content:
(o) on successful operation*
( ) on FC exit
( ) never

* means that if I copy or move the file and it is successfully copied/moved (completely), then remove the items from the file container

5. This is related with the first one, every time I create a file container, the new one is created.

I suggest the "Quick file container", with the quick access - tool bar item, keyboard shortcut - to open it within the actual tab (not the new one). This way always the same container would be opened.

Toolbar button might have a special functionality, similar to recycle bin, so if I'd drag the files/folders and drop them to that button/icon, the files would be added to quick file container. With the multiple items drag support.

Toolbar button and keyboard shortcut "Add to Quick file container", to easily add the selected items to quick file container.

"Show Quick file container as drive" option.

6. Last but not least - file containers are for files and folders, so perhaps the name is not 100% correct, what about "Item container"?

Thanks. Any comments and suggestions are welcome.

inglorious

Re: File Containers suggestions

#2 Post by inglorious » 30.04.2012, 02:40

6. Last but not least - file containers are for files and folders, so perhaps the name is not 100% correct, what about "Item container"?
some other FM uses the term "scrap container" while I personally prefer the term "file container" because it's plain:
think of a "file container" as a file "containing" other files, folders, shortcuts, etc.
Win7x64

Dreamer
Site Admin

#3 Post by Dreamer » 30.04.2012, 22:23

6. One more idea - "Virtual container". I think it's better than "item container", because it's not real container or folder and it's also more intuitive, this is important either. "File container" is not bad, but it's not correct - it's for files and folders.

DG

#4 Post by DG » 01.05.2012, 18:32

Another idea: "Carousel". This doesn't limit what it contains and conveys the idea of a place where you can rotate items in and out.

Regards,
DG

Dreamer
Site Admin

#5 Post by Dreamer » 01.05.2012, 22:23

Hm.. I'm not perfect in English, but many FC users either, so I think the "Virtual container" would be the best.

inglorious

#6 Post by inglorious » 02.05.2012, 10:41

file container is good, why not simply keep it!?
Win7x64

inglorious

#7 Post by inglorious » 02.05.2012, 10:44

3. Backspace key for container folder content to go up.
that's a good suggestion.
Win7x64

Dreamer
Site Admin

#8 Post by Dreamer » 02.05.2012, 23:16

inglorious wrote:file container is good, why not simply keep it!?
The name is incorrect and the "virtual container" would be more intuitive (and correct). Of course, it's just a suggestion, Marek has to decide.

inglorious

#9 Post by inglorious » 03.05.2012, 20:54

The name is incorrect and the "virtual container" would be more intuitive (and correct).
yeah, why not call it "hybrid, virtual, synchronous file, folder, shortcuts and more stuff to come container"? that's correct too. :shock:
or simply keep it the way it is...
hey, I'm just kiddin' :P though you could rename it to "container" that's plain, simple and correct too.
Win7x64

JohnFredC

#10 Post by JohnFredC » 24.05.2012, 04:36

Or "Project" or "Collection" or "Group" or "Basket" or ...
Mouse-centric

BGM

#11 Post by BGM » 24.05.2012, 05:14

My two cents is that using the word "virtual" would tell people automatically that their files are not actually changed with it use. It might make it more intuitive to accept and learn it, too. For me, when I think "File" - my instinct is to wonder, "What is happening to my files if I use this?????!!!" - and then I either have to go read documentation to calm my nerves, or I just ignore the nice feature. But if I see "Virtual" - then I understand that it isn't *really* doing anything to my files. And, well, of course, everyone knows what a container is. So you put them together, "Virtual Container" and you can easily understand from just the name (no documentation necessary to understand!) that I might be able to put my files in there without really doing anything to them, and then I can do something with them (I think).

Honestly, I've never used it! I'm not sure what to do with it actually.
(Windows 10-1909 Professional 64bit)

Dreamer
Site Admin

#12 Post by Dreamer » 24.05.2012, 22:09

Finally a good explanation why "virtual container" would be the best. I suggest to read the whole BGM's post, there's no better solution, actually there's no other solution, since the actual one is incorrect.

BTW What about the other suggestions from the first post? Any reply, support? It would be much more intuitive and usable then...

BGM

#13 Post by BGM » 24.05.2012, 22:30

Well, for better access, I think a "drive" would be a good idea, and your idea of an option to "show file containers as drive" would make them very useful. After all, if you are going to use a file container (or virtual container :) ), it is because you plan to dump a bunch of files into it from all over the place - so easy access is indispensable to the nature of the thing.

Instead of using a drive, however, which will open the container in a folder tab (and thus you lose access to the entire folder panel), what if a new vertical panel could open right next to the splitter bar - kind of like the new favourites panel does - with a "title" somewhere in the panel. Then, if you have more than one container, the "Containers Panel" would split again, horizontally. This way, you could have all your tabs and containers too - all visible at the same time for easy drag and drop from all over the world.

Of course, you would be able to resize the "Containers Panel" and the "container boxes" within it. And of course, you would be able to toggle the entire panel with a toolbar button or a splitterbar button. Keyboard commands would not work unless that panel had focus. And, of course, you need to be able to colour the panel's background so it is obvious what it is.

If I could have a "Container Panel" like that, I would actually use it. I have a wide-screen monitor with lots of real estate, so I've room to spare for the panel to be open.

As for saving the file container content - wouldn't that fall under FC's autosave feature, anyway? Why would you want it separate? But I think the auto-save settings is still only an ini-entry, and doesn't appear in the options panel (but it should). The options panel only allows for auto-save on exit. We should be able to set it to save when FC loses focus, or every so-many minutes. Then, the file-container would just save right along with FC's settings.

JohnFredC

#14 Post by JohnFredC » 24.05.2012, 23:57

What exactly is meant by the word "virtual"?

It is important to remember that there is a distinction between the virtuality of the collection vs. the virtuality of possible actions (copy, move, delete, rename) against the members of the collection. These are separate concepts.

One is the dimension of association which determines membership in the container ("all files for project xyz", for instance).

The other, a mode of interaction (either "virtual" or "real") with the contents of the container.

To use the word "virtual" (as in "virtual drive" or "virtual container" or "virtual folder") is to obfuscate the distinction between these two properties of file containers. Users will be confused.

A file container should have a list of members and a flag (whose status might be indicated by an alternate tab background color or some other indicator) which determines the result of any user action directed to modify the contents of the container.
  • 1) Real mode: all user actions operate on the "real files". "Delete" deletes the actual file.
    2) Virtual mode: actions only operate on the "virtual" counterparts. "Delete" does NOT delete the actual file, only its entry in the membership list.

This schema greatly simplifies the concept of file containers in general and clarifies the user's relationship with the original, "real" files at all times by forcing the user to select which mode prevails.
Mouse-centric

BGM

#15 Post by BGM » 25.05.2012, 00:02

So, what do you propose, a "toggle switch"?