mouseover on folder name quickly opens it, and tree jumps

Discussion and questions - donor version.
vsrawat

mouseover on folder name quickly opens it, and tree jumps

#1 Post by vsrawat » 29.09.2012, 18:42

fc xe on w7

1. when I mouseover on a folder name on left panel, it expands too quickly to show its content in folder tree.
that is too inconvenient.
often I am just dropping files in a folder name, I don't want folder tree to expand. it just has to take file.
so, please allow some option to control how long folder tree should wait before expanding.

2. when I drop a file to some folder in tree in left panel, the tree jumps. the folder on which I had dropped the file goes somewhere else, and I am confused whether the files are being dropped to correct folder or not. (though files have got dropped to correct folder).

so, please correct this bug. there is no reason for folder tree on the left panel to move on its on.

Thanks.

Scott_Y

Re: mouseover on folder name quickly opens it, and tree jump

#2 Post by Scott_Y » 01.10.2012, 18:28

It appears that both parts of your problem are due to auto-expansion of tree nodes when you hover over them. However, I'm not aware that FC has an expand-on-hover feature. I can't reproduce your problem in FC 600 on Win7-64. (And by the way, please mention what version of FC XE you are using when you post.)

You could try experimenting with Settings > View > Tree > Management page.
Disable (uncheck) Auto Expand On Click if it is enabled.

vsrawat

#3 Post by vsrawat » 01.10.2012, 20:49

My mistake. I am sorry for half expressing.

It is auto expand, ONLY DURING MOVE/COPY.

When I click and lock on a filename on right pane to copy/move to another folder, and move the mousepointer over a folder name on left, that expands too quickly.... so on.

I am on 591, last release for free users.

Scott_Y

#4 Post by Scott_Y » 01.10.2012, 22:54

Thanks for the additional information. As I understand you, you are dragging an object from the tab to a different folder in the Tree (not between tabs in separate panes/panels -- the Tree is not a pane/panel). When you are ready to drop it, the node in the Tree (a.) expands and (b.) "jumps ... somewhere else."

Is that correct?
Can you give more detail about (b.)? Does it move horizontally? Where is "somewhere else"?

Here's what I observe in FC 600, Win7-64.
(1) If I click-drag an object and hover it over a folder in the Tree, and that node is expandable, it will sometimes expand, sometimes not.
(2) If the target folder's name is out of view past the right edge of the Tree, the tree will sometimes scroll to the left so the name becomes visible.

Although those movements may be disconcerting, in neither case does the target folder lose focus, nor does it move vertically away from where I hovered over it. So I can always see what the target folder is. (However, if the target folder expands and I move the mouse slightly in the process, the highlight may indeed end up on a different folder -- but not due to FC.)

I can't see a reason for the node sometimes expanding or scrolling, but sometimes not. I have reported this at viewtopic.php?f=6&t=4614

BTW, In Settings > View > Tree > Management page I have disabled
[ ] Auto Scroll Selected Node
[ ] Auto Expand On Click
but that doesn't seem to make a difference in the results.

vsrawat

#5 Post by vsrawat » 02.10.2012, 07:17

in my 591 on w7-32

1. Yes, I want to move a right-pane file to some different folder shown in left pane folder list tree (not anywhere in open tabs in right pane).

say, folder1 has subfolder1.1; and subfolder1.1 has subsubfolder1.1.1
say, folder2 has subfolder2.1; and subfolder2.2 has subsubfolder2.1.1

2. When I point mouse on folder1 visible in left pane, folder1 expands too quickly, almost instantaneously, to show its subolder1.1

that is uncomfortable, if I wanted to drop in folder1 itself that has just expanded.

And then, after expansion, folders list moves (jumps) vertically (surely not horizontally. My entire report is about automatic vertical movements only.). So, now folder1 is not under the mousepointer and I can't drop in folder1, I had to reposition mouse.

but, then, subfolder1.1 also quickly expands vertically to show its subfolder1.1.1, and that also has a vertical movement.

this process continues till there is some "expandable" foldername under mousepointer after each expansion.

and with each expansion of tree, the folders move (jump) vertically.
--

you wrote "it will sometimes expand, sometimes not."

No. not "some"times. it expands "every"time.

--

Second issue is, after all expansions, I have somehow reached the intended folder1 and it is already expanded, so it is in steady state now, not moving/jumping, nor expanding.

I drop the file in folder1.

And then, the entire foldertree in left pane jumps again. often the folder1 (to which I had dropped) moves past top/bottom edge of the window (in part of screen, not ever in fullscreen or full window position, I open fc and most software in part of screen). the folder1 to which I had dropped, is invisible in the tree. I have to again scroll to reach it.

the problem is not with left-right movement, the problem is with top-bottom movement that I am reporting.

yes, I have checked several times and found that the file got dropped to the right folder always. still, it is very disconcerting, and almost all time, I am at a loss, and I have to recheck that file has reached the right folder.
--
BTW, In Settings > View > Tree > Management page I have disabled
[ ] Auto Scroll Selected Node
[ ] Auto Expand On Click
but that doesn't seem to make a difference in the results.
--

I had "Auto Scroll Selected Node" ticked that I have since unticked, but as you said, the behaviour I reported continues.
--

I guess
1. the time you have put for folder to expand should be increased a little so that the user gets time to drop the file in folder1 itself (before it expands).
2. the left pane folder, to which mouse focus was there, should always remain unmoved at the mouse focus, even if it is expanding. this way it will remain unmoved under mouse pointer and users can drop file to it even if it is expanding (it shows its leaves vertically lower than current mousepointer).
3. after dropping the file, the folder pane must not move at all - until mouse pointer moves.

Thanks.

vsrawat

#6 Post by vsrawat » 02.10.2012, 07:33

posted this as a new thread.
Last edited by vsrawat on 02.10.2012, 18:23, edited 1 time in total.

Scott_Y

#7 Post by Scott_Y » 02.10.2012, 17:47

Thanks for the very complete description of your problem, that should help a lot. Because I can't reproduce it, hopefully another user or Marek, the author, will have a solution. I'm sorry I don't think I can do more at this point.
vsrawat wrote:While we are at it, another issue is non-sync of folder tree in left pane, and the currently selected tab in right pane.
this is totally different from above reported issue. ...
It is much better to include only one problem or request per post, see viewtopic.php?f=3&t=17

Please copy what you just wrote about the non-synching tree view, delete that entry by clicking the blue X icon below it, then repost it in the Beta Bug Reports section of the forum (not this section). It is more likely you will get a response that way than if it is bundled with a separate issue.

vsrawat

#8 Post by vsrawat » 02.10.2012, 18:23

done. u can delete these three last post here.

Thanks.