Please explain Custom-Column conditions

Discussion and questions - donor version.
Scott_Y

Please explain Custom-Column conditions

#1 Post by Scott_Y » 11.10.2013, 03:19

Please explain the various conditions available for Custom-Columns. (?) marks the points I am unsure of, but the others might need correcting as well. Thanks very much.

No Condition <fixed> -- (?)
All Subfolders <sub> -- applies to all subfolders of the named folder
Folder Name <mask> -- applies to the named folder only (?)
Plain View <plain> -- applies to any plain (or flattened) view
File Container <cart> -- applies to any file container

Marek
Author
Author

Re: Please explain Custom-Column conditions

#2 Post by Marek » 11.10.2013, 19:21

No Condition <fixed> -- (?)
This condition will be never automatically activated. You can set the view with <fixed> condition only manually (Shift+F1).
All Subfolders <sub>
The folder mask will be applied to the full folder path. If you have "Audio" folder (e.g. E:\Audio) and you want define the mask for the "Audio" and all subfolders then the mask should be: E:\Audio;E:\Audio\*. I think it is better to define: *\Audio;*\Audio\*
Folder Name <mask>
The folder mask will be applied only to the current folder name. If you want to define the mask "Audio*" and you have subfolders e:\Audio\Audio_my; e:\Audio\Audio_Mike then the mask will be active in "Audio" and in the subfolders "Audio_my" and "Audio_Mike". If you have subfolders e:\Audio\my; e:\Audio\Mike then the mask will be active only in "Audio".
Plain View <plain>
The view with that condition will be automatically activated if you switch to the plain view (e.g. Ctrl+B)
File Container <cart>
The view with that condition will be automatically activated if you switch to the file container.

Scott_Y

Re: Please explain Custom-Column conditions

#3 Post by Scott_Y » 11.10.2013, 19:50

Thanks very much, Marek. That's quite helpful.

Even with your explanation, <sub> still seems counter-intuitive to me even to the point of appearing like a bug, as I reported at viewtopic.php?f=7&t=5366

I think the difficulties for me with how <sub> works are the following:
1. The name "All Subfolders" implies it will apply literally to all subfolders under the named folder.
2. The example mask for <sub> does not show the final \* which is currently required for subfolders.
3. A <sub> mask without a final \* is essentially the same as in <mask>.