Quick filter and folders

Discussion, questions and support.
peterfc

Quick filter and folders

#1 Post by peterfc » 19.11.2014, 14:47

Hello,
I've tried for hours to make quick filter work on folders, but to no avail: Any subfolder of a folder is displayed, and if a folder contains subfolders only, my quick filters do not filter anything (they work correctly on all files, though).

I have read numerous threads in this forum re this subject, and it seems there had been some bugs with regards to this problem, but I finally installed the public beta build 680 (the current one as of today), and it does work exactly as my regular version build 650.

That's why I suppose that in the settings/options, I probably make a decisive mistake, all over, and this in spite of tampering with those settings over many hours.

Could somebody please tell me how I should set the settings/options, in order for quick filter to filter folders, too? (I did not touch the flatten-out options which would be for filtering files in sub-folders.)

Thanks to anybody for any kind help with this matter!

joby_toss

Re: Quick filter and folders

#2 Post by joby_toss » 19.11.2014, 19:58

Can you post a screenshot of one of your filters?

peterfc

#3 Post by peterfc » 20.11.2014, 00:46

Your screenshot is from "Reusable Filters". My problem is with "Quick Filter" (as it has been traditionally called, in the help file and also in numerous threads in 2014 from which I deduct the problem has been resolved); per Alt-y, it's the upper part of the first dialog then, which is now called "Temporary filter", but which has taken the place of "Quick Filter".

Your screenshot appears when you press, in that first dialog, the button "Define" in the second part, "Reusable filters".

I need inclusion of folders within the "Temporary filter" = Quick Filter; I suppose the denomination change has brought your mixing up the quick with the pre-defined filter?

alf5000

#4 Post by alf5000 » 20.11.2014, 15:38

can't confirm.

No matter whether it's normal view or flat view:
I can QuickFilter files.
I can QuickFilter folders.
I can QuickFilter files & folders.
(win10pro x64) - (latest FCXE x64 portable)

Karol

#5 Post by Karol » 20.11.2014, 16:51

With quick filter you can filter only current folder and not subfolders.

joby_toss

#6 Post by joby_toss » 20.11.2014, 19:13

Was tired and misunderstood the issue. Sorry!
Quick filter works fine for me, too.
Use the portable version with default settings and try to replicate the same scenario.

These are my options:

peterfc

#7 Post by peterfc » 21.11.2014, 19:28

Thank you very much, toby_toss, for your very kind help!

A

I tried again with 650 and with 680 (I checked in the "About" pane for not mixing them up).

I tried all possible combinations for checking/unchecking settings, building them up one by one, and removing them one by one from a "full set".

Those settings did not change anything, including the setting "Auto-add wildcards", whilst it's clear as day that for SOME of my observations, this option checked/unchecked SHOULD have made a difference:

will "find" ANY folder, i.e. NA hits (NA being for "non-appropriate"), but NO files ("no" meaning not any, nada)

0*
will bring ANY folder (most of them NA), AND SOME relevant files, i.e. those BEGINNING with "0" only (i.e. even when "auto-* is ON", by which I expect that files (and folders) would be found that are named abc0def)

*0*
will bring ANY folder (most of them NA), AND ALL relevant files, i.e. those beginning with 0, and those which have a 0 withIN their name

B

So I installed the portable version, "Portable 2014", which is 650 again, and let the settings on default, which means, in Quicksearch/filter/starter settings:
first pane (2 settings): second one checked; second pane (5 settings): first 3 checked

Result for Portable 650:

In a folder with lots of files and just 2 folders (1 relevant, 1 not):

displayed the relevant folder one (while hiding the NA one: so far, so good!!!), and NO file (i.e. this filtering HID some 10 relevant ones!!!

0*
displayed the relevant folder (an this one only: good!), and the files beginning with 0: very good, since it seems this is the desired result,

even though it should be said that the choice for filtering/displaying folders only (1.) or folders AND files (2.) should not be made dependant on an asterix, which would have quite some other meaning in every other program worldwide
(relevant folder: 0abc, hence to be found with 1. und 2. = ok, but relevant files: 0abc, 0def, 0ghi, etc., so they should have been found by 1., too: let's remember that "auto add wildcards" setting was ON (by default)!)

And then, if an asterisk toggles between folders-only and folders-and-files, what about the third alternative, "FILES ONLY"? These 3 alternatives should be set by a dedicated three-way option!

C

As seen under B, it SEEMED that the Portable version alone (!) worked correctly, albeit in a weird way (* needed in spite of the "auto-*" option).

So I tried, with the very same settings, and again with Portable (650), a similar search in a sibling folder, but which only contains 2 files, 0abc and abc0def, which I put in there for checking, but 400 folders, of which some only are relevant.

And boom, the Portable version failed here, as 650 and 680 had failed everywhere, and in the same sense:

shows all folders (most of them NA), but hides the two (RELEVANT) files (relevant at least if we supposed that the auto-* option set worked correctly which obviously it does not), and

0*
shows ALL folders again, most of them NA, and also the two relevant files; by the way, I waited several minutes in either case, in order for according FC Portable the time to "compute" if that time was needed, but there was no difference in the result after several minutes, from the immediate (and totally incorrect) result: in both cases, 393 folders were displayed, about 385 of them wrongly, and in the second cases, the 2 relevant files were displayed, too.

Thus, I repeated these filterings 1. and 2. (same folder, same Portable) with your settings, i.e. not the defaults, but "anything set ON":
Results identical to 1. and 2., i.e. with 0, all folders (most of them wrongly), and with 0*, ditto plus the two files.

From this, I suppose there's some additional work for the developer, but from my experience prior to this (see my previous posts), I deduct that this work will NOT be done if I'm the only user to whom to rely, so if these various bugs here are to be exterminated, it should be advisable that my findings be backed by fellow users'.

Again, thank you so much, toby_toss, for your very kind help, and perhaps, if you can confirm my observations, the developer will become interested in this issue, too? ;-)

peterfc

#8 Post by peterfc » 22.11.2014, 02:14

I beg your pardon, joby_toss, I misspelled your screen name both times, Toby being a German Christian name (short for Tobias), joby being meaningless in the 3 languages I write in: Very sorry for my inadvertance!

peterfc

#9 Post by peterfc » 22.11.2014, 12:22

Yesterday, I was very specific, but perhaps not specific enough, since I had left out the information that my tries were on my working, not system files, and that these files are all on an external hdd, by usb 2, and the difference that this would make, is of course that reading several hundred files, or several hundred folders - @Karol: folder NAMES in the current folder, not their respective content - this way takes some 1 second or 1 second and a half in FC and thus is not instantly, and for filtering, there would be similar response times to be expected; this was clearly core information I should have given from start on.

Thus, I tried again with my system files, on c, and did so with Portable 2014 = 650, on c:\Dokumente und Einstellungen, with exactly 5 "folders" (= folder ENTRIES), and no files:
A
All Users
and 3 system/hiddenfiles (so I had to tweak the untouched settings: file/folder list: show hidden files YES, show system files YES):
Default User
LocalService
NetworkService

Then, my usual try, here for "a", of course:

a
shows all 5 folders (= folder ENTRIES)
this would be debatable for Default User and LocalService, since both contain an a, and auto-* is ON
NetworkService is displayed, whilst it does NOT contain any a

a*
same as before; here at least, I would have expected that only folders A and All Users would have been displayed, not all 5 folder entries, incl. NetworkService.

I should add that my c:\ response time is immediate. Also, my 650 and 680 both are closed, and Portable is not installed in their common programs' folder c:\Programme\FC...\then 650 and an additional subfolder for 680, but in c:\FC Portable, and as said, all other settings are out of the box, so I don't think that any install /settings error for 650 or 680 should affect the Portable installation.

This thread clearly should be moved into the "Bugs" section, so there's a chance the developer gets at least some knowledge of it.

In its current state, FC is clearly not software that would have its place in anything else than a children's room, for children up to 5.

@alf:

"No matter whether it's normal view or flat view:
I can QuickFilter files.
I can QuickFilter folders.
I can QuickFilter files & folders."

How do you do it, with another program? Or in FC, by Alt-y, then xyz or xyz*, and Return?

joby_toss

#10 Post by joby_toss » 22.11.2014, 15:00

I confess that I don't understand the issue you're having with folders filtering in FC XE (my English is not that good), but I have a question: do you notice a difference in the way Quick filter (Ctrl+Y) and Filter (Alt+Y) behave?

Marek
Author
Author

#11 Post by Marek » 22.11.2014, 16:58

@peterfc
If I right understood you have tested scenario as follow:
screen_221114 162944.png
screen_221114 162944.png (5.59 KiB) Viewed 8089 times
File list without quick filter:
screen_221114 162753.png
screen_221114 162753.png (13.71 KiB) Viewed 8089 times
File list with quick filter set to: a
screen_221114 162816.png
screen_221114 162816.png (12.41 KiB) Viewed 8089 times
File list with quick filter set to: a*
screen_221114 162843.png
screen_221114 162843.png (8.87 KiB) Viewed 8089 times
I have got the same results with the release 650 and 680.
Have you other results? Maybe you could create some screenshots too. If you like you can send the screenshots directly to me.