ZIP-Folder: Maybe we can handle it like normal folders?

Discussion and questions - donor version.
Mr-Fly

ZIP-Folder: Maybe we can handle it like normal folders?

#1 Post by Mr-Fly » 27.04.2008, 22:39

Hi Marek,

I did not find the thread anymore where this was discussed, but I want to bring this up again.
Maybe we can handle zip-folders like normal folders when I entered them and make ALT+F5 and ALT-F6 do the job, the F5 will take today.

It happened to me already a couple of time, that I just did want to copy the files out of the zip, but did not think of the settings (as they are saved).
So I sometimes stumbled across, that I thought the copy failed, but I found out, that "Use current dir" was still set.

maybe we should make this feature configurable and the default should be the current working model to not confuse users.

Regards
Thorsten
Using FC under: Win10 German (2004+), Server 2016, Server 2019 + Onedrive

Marek
Author
Author

#2 Post by Marek » 27.04.2008, 22:44

Please write more exactly what you mean.

Mr-Fly

#3 Post by Mr-Fly » 27.04.2008, 22:48

Hi Marek,

Right now, when I am entering a ZIP file (as a folder) and the want to copy a file out of this ZIP, F5 will show me the "Unpack-Dialog" instead of the normal "copy dialog".
This means, the settings I used last time with a full ZIP file is used, which leads for me pretty ofter in using F5, then enter and will have the file extracted in the same folder, the zip is in, instead of the other side-directory.

In my eyes at that case, it should be handled like a copy.

I am using F5 with dialog, not the quick-copy.

Regards
Thorsten

Mr-Fly

#4 Post by Mr-Fly » 11.05.2008, 14:00

Just had the same again.
I had a zip folder opened on the left and opened the destination folder on the right, to copy the contents of the zip into the destination.
BUT the setting "Use Current Dir" was still turned on and so it landed in the same folder. It was long work to get all the files out of that main folder.

In my eyes, the behaviour is just inconsistent for freecommander and I would really suggest to make a normal copy dialog to that field and let ALT-F6 and ALT-F5 do the other work.
Maybe we can make that configurable, so that you have a setting like
"use zip folders like normal folders on copy ..."

Regards
Thorsten

y0himba

#5 Post by y0himba » 16.06.2008, 05:15

I agree here. I would like to be able to double click a zip file, select the files to extract, then just drag/drop them to a folder in the other pane using a normal file copy dialog.
My Web Site: [url=http://www.y0himba.net]http://www.y0himba.net[/url]
Last 5 Songs Played:
[url=http://www.last.fm/user/y0himba/?chartstyle=MinimalBlackGreyAuto][img]http://imagegen.last.fm/MinimalBlackGreyAuto/recenttracks/y0himba.gif[/img][/url]

early

overwrite existing files

#6 Post by early » 01.09.2008, 22:27

I have a remotely related question/request:

I copy/extract files from a .zip file to a folder that has some files with the same name. The problem: the files don't get extracted. The files in the .zip should overwrite the existing ones, FC should ask me if I want to overwrite, but this doesn't happen.

I'm quite new to FC, so maybe I missed something. If so, please let me know.

mr

#7 Post by mr » 26.12.2008, 16:12

I use FC for almost all my file organization. Being able to treat a zip file as a regular folder (drag/drop capability with zip in one pane and any folder in the other) would enhance the its usefulness as an efficient file organizer. It would be my #1 request for a new feature.
Thanks.

matera

#8 Post by matera » 27.12.2008, 04:29

I have no real need or desire for this feature -- I nearly always use 7zip or IZArc to handle compressed files -- but I won't argue against it.

As long as I can turn it off, or at least not have it in flat view. My evil imagination sees ten miles of files when I "flatten" a rat's nest containing archives of several versions of various forums + PHP documentation + -- well, you name it. It's a very funny sight but I want to keep it in my imagination, where I don't have to pray not to crash ;)

ChrisAlba

Drag/drop from zip open as folder to norm folder => F5Dia

#9 Post by ChrisAlba » 22.03.2009, 10:00

I think the usefulness of FreeCommander would be improved if it would open the F5/Unpack Dialog when the user drags/drops a file contained in a Zip displayed as folder into a normal folder.

In other words :
I often want to copy, as an unpacked file, a document contained in a Zip, viewed as a folder in FreeCommander. Usually I have the zipped file opened as a folder and the target directory opened in the other window ; on most occasion, I forget the source is in a zip... and, out of habit, I just drag the file => I get the Copy/Move/link dialog => I choose Copy => I get an error message...
==> Would be much nicer if FC opened the F5/Unpack Dialog

Scott_Y

#10 Post by Scott_Y » 17.10.2009, 05:28

Maybe we can make that configurable, so that you have a setting like "use zip folders like normal folders on copy ..."
+1 vote. This would be very helpful and much simpler and more intuitive. My old file manager (Altap Salamander) treated zip folders like normal folders, so I never had to think of extra settings to make a simple copy out of a zip folder.