Compare filenames without extension

Discussion, questions and support.
paul3000

Compare filenames without extension

#1 Post by paul3000 » 06.01.2016, 06:22

How can I compare filenames without the extension between 2 different folders on left and right side of FreeComander so I can make the filenames the same for both files? Example abc.wav on left side is ab_c.flac on right side, by comparing file names without the extension and highlighting the differences I can then easily make both names the same (not extension).

For clarity,
how do I ignore file extensions? for example I have WAV folders and FLAC folders with identical songs - I just need to check that the file names are the same ie are in sync. ignoring timestamps, sizes and Extension.

afh

Re: Compare filenames without extension

#2 Post by afh » 06.01.2016, 22:17

You can use advanced renamer which has a "List method" -> http://www.advancedrenamer.com/user_guide/method_list

1. in Freecommander select all the files with the correct name (let's say the wav files) and then copy their names with "Edit -> Copy name as text - shift+alt+ins"

2. In AdvancedRenamer, after adding the .flac files to "Rename files", in "Renaming method list" you have to add 2 methods:
- "List method" where you put the file names from clipboard
- "Replace method" where you change ".wav" to "" (nothing).

Of course, make sure you have the same number of files in each folder and that they are in the same order...

paul3000

#3 Post by paul3000 » 07.01.2016, 06:39

In order to find the ones that are not the same, a few hundred among 8,000 how can I compare filenames without the extension between 2 different folders on left and right side of FreeComander that is by comparing file names without the extension and highlighting just the different ones only ie not highlighting or showing all the ones with the same names (all without extension).

afh

#4 Post by afh » 07.01.2016, 08:49

Use beyond compare -> http://www.scootersoftware.com/download.php

In Session -> Session Settings:
- uncheck [ ] Compare file size and [ ] Compare timestamps
- check [ ] align filenames with different extension

In order to see only the differencies, click "Diffs" on the main pane.

paul3000

#5 Post by paul3000 » 07.01.2016, 08:58

afh wrote:Use beyond compare -> http://www.scootersoftware.com/download.php

In Session -> Session Settings:
- uncheck [ ] Compare file size and [ ] Compare timestamps

In order to see only the differencies, click "Diffs" on the main pane.

Beyond Compare is quite expensive so I hoped to do it in Freeware.

afh

#6 Post by afh » 07.01.2016, 09:03

paul3000 wrote: Beyond Compare is quite expensive so I hoped to do it in Freeware.
You are right. Actually I downloaded the software and installed it as portable and it worked.
So I thought that the standard version is free... It seems it is not...

afh

#7 Post by afh » 07.01.2016, 16:43

All I can think is to copy the file list (shift+alt+ins) of each folder in 2 separate files.
In each file, delete the extension (you can use regex in notepad++ to be sure the extension is replaced only at the end of the line).
And then compare the files with WinMerge (you need to set View->DiffContext->0). You will need an unofficial version -> http://www.geocities.co.jp/SiliconValle ... 64-exe.zip
On this ocasion you can set WinMerge as the program to compare the files (item "Tools → Settings → Programs" in the tab "Compare files" ).

Timon

#8 Post by Timon » 07.01.2016, 17:30

It's a good idea to implement something similar in FC XE - 'ignore extension while comparing files'. It would be very usefull.

paul3000

#9 Post by paul3000 » 08.01.2016, 03:57

Timon wrote:
It's a good idea to implement something similar in FC XE - 'ignore extension while comparing files'. It would be very usefull.

That would be great. On the Compare / Sync page there could be more options,

1 'ignore extension while comparing files'

2 select only all that are the same (both sides and align.)

3 select only those that are different (both sides and align by folder.) By folder means the files on one side would be more likely to be a closer match the ones on the other side.

4 copy names from one side to the other with ability to drag files up and down to align as required.