Middle button for a specified opening of a shortcut

Suggestions and feature requests.
Forez

Middle button for a specified opening of a shortcut

#1 Post by Forez » 13.05.2016, 21:50

Recently I got acquainted with a more defined [and thus user friendly] behavior of shortcuts in form of icon in the favorite toolbars [viewtopic.php?f=20&t=7256]

But there is one small problem: if I precise in a shortcut to open folder always in a new folder tab- then [logically] I will get always a new folder tab. And the problem is that after a while I'm flooded with those tabs and have to close them, many times during the day

Of course I could take the opposite approach: make shortcuts that use existing [active] tab; and put the CTRL + T icon in the action toolbar [in line with the folder path, just below those tabs] so that I can create a new tab when I need to open a shortcut. But that way I will have to do two clicks instead of one and also additional pointer movement- so in no way this can be called a "shortcut"

So why not make a usage of middle muse button? It could be defined by user to open the [folder] shortcut either in existing [active] tab or always in new one; depending which approach is more preferable to a given user. Or / and if a shortcut to a folder should be opened in the let window or in the right window

Right now the only workaround to this issue is making two version of the shortcut: one for opening folder in the active tab and second [preferably putted next to it] for opening folder in a new tab. But as I already have doubled shortcuts [a set for a left window and a set for the right window], that would put in my FreeCommander a shortcut to one and the same folder four times
Last edited by Forez on 16.05.2016, 22:26, edited 1 time in total.

Dreamer
Site Admin

Re: Middle button for a specified opening of a shortcut

#2 Post by Dreamer » 13.05.2016, 22:51

You are right, middle click opens folder in a new tab already, so open shortcut in a new folder make sense, I'm just not sure, if there is no conflict with the file shortcuts.

afh

#3 Post by afh » 14.05.2016, 08:45

Another work around:
select the lnk file and then CTRL+arrow (left or right depending in which panel you are). This will open the folder in the opposite panel.

Forez

#4 Post by Forez » 16.05.2016, 22:31

afh wrote:Another work around:
select the lnk file and then CTRL+arrow (left or right depending in which panel you are). This will open the folder in the opposite panel.
This might by a workaround

But in the long shoot having to push a CTRL [a key that is not on a mouse] and taking your other hand off the mouse to push an arrow, is not really an improvement but a drag

NumberOne

#5 Post by NumberOne » 18.05.2016, 01:36

So why not make a usage of middle muse button?
the middle mouse button is already broken, see why in my post here.

after opening many tabs obviously things become complicated. to mitigate you could try this:
1. toggle to single panel (shortcut F10) by this you have twice the space for tabs
2. put your favorite folders in the favorite tree display (shortcut is ALT+F)
like this you have them always visible, lately you can drag & drop files (unfortunately not implemented fully/correctly, see other postings on this matter)
3. put your favorite folders in the favorite toolbar, you can do some limited drag & copy (unfortunately this is also not implement fully/correctly, see my other postings on this matter)
4. you can save your workspace (tabs, view styles, etc) in layouts. like this you could have certain tabs open for each task and toggle layouts easily, have a look in the help file. (though, because of the many bugs, I gave up on layouts already long time ago, maybe it's working now as expected though that would rather surprise me.)

the main problem I see with FreeCommander. the software claims to be mature, changed the icon from red to blue, beta was removed from the window caption, but in reality it's pre-alpha. What we get from a day to another day or week by week are in fact untested nightly builds.

have a look at the bug reports for the latest build 720 for instance, move & copy a most essential functionary is broken.
every build breaks something and/or introduces new bugs, a regression or once in while a medium rare feature is introduced.

the reasons are manifold, not to blame the author incapability to code in first place, but rather the incompetency to manage a growing software project. without a clear stated vision, without setting up milestones or at least installing a bug tracker system, etc. I don't expect the software to mature soon or ever.

Forez

#6 Post by Forez » 30.05.2016, 21:48

NumberOne wrote: [...]
after opening many tabs obviously things become complicated. to mitigate you could try this:
Thanks for all those suggestions
NumberOne wrote: 1. toggle to single panel (shortcut F10) by this you have twice the space for tabs
As I am already advocating for adding a possibility for a third window [viewtopic.php?f=20&t=7286], so using just one is no option for me
NumberOne wrote: 2. put your favorite folders in the favorite tree display (shortcut is ALT+F)
like this you have them always visible, lately you can drag & drop files (unfortunately not implemented fully/correctly, see other postings on this matter)
When turned on the side, it takes precious space. And if I were to use this in form of a menu accesses by icon, this would require two clicks
NumberOne wrote: 3. put your favorite folders in the favorite toolbar, you can do some limited drag & copy (unfortunately this is also not implement fully/correctly, see my other postings on this matter)
What is that?

Is this something else that shortcuts in form of icons?
NumberOne wrote: 4. you can save your workspace (tabs, view styles, etc) in layouts. like this you could have certain tabs open for each task and toggle layouts easily, have a look in the help file. (though, because of the many bugs, I gave up on layouts already long time ago, maybe it's working now as expected though that would rather surprise me.)
Yes, I have already played with layout, saving a little of space

What would really help is if tabs would behave like in Firefox: if I could scroll them left-right with a mouse scroll wheel [something i wrote about here: viewtopic.php?f=20&t=7257]
NumberOne wrote: the main problem I see with FreeCommander. the software claims to be mature, changed the icon from red to blue, beta was removed from the window caption, but in reality it's pre-alpha.
[...]
have a look at the bug reports for the latest build 720 for instance, move & copy a most essential functionary is broken.
[...]
I use TeraCopy, so I don't experience that

Forez

#7 Post by Forez » 30.05.2016, 23:24

Forez wrote:[...]
So why not make a usage of middle muse button?[...]
Practically this is already implemented in FreeCommander: icons for drives when clicked with left mouse button open in the current [active] tab; but when clicked with middle button, they open in a new one. And this duality is so useful

It "only" has to be extended over to the favorite toolbars icons