how to edit address bar via single LM click NOT middle mouse

Discussion and questions - donor version.
NumberOne

how to edit address bar via single LM click NOT middle mouse

#1 Post by NumberOne » 07.05.2016, 00:52

I know the short cut is alt+g. I'd like to access the address bar in the same way as any other decent FM out there, via a simple single click (or worse via double click). No other damn FM uses the middle mouse button! :oops: Did I mention, the MSDN recommendions on this subject, read yourself: Single-click or double-click? And if double-click must die, middle click must abort, in the end this is not a friggin CAD application, you know?!

yeah, I know this has been changed already once, but unfortunately some clueless fanboys :lol: made Marek undo it. :evil:
so back to my question, how to change it to single left mouse click? I searched the settings.ini for AddrBar, but no luck,
plz don't tell me this is hard-coded?! :shock:

Dreamer
Site Admin

Re: how to edit address bar via single LM click NOT middle m

#2 Post by Dreamer » 10.05.2016, 20:32

Add "edit path" button to address bar panel, then it will be working as you want, single left mouse button click.

If you don't like it, you can start a feature request.

NumberOne

#3 Post by NumberOne » 10.05.2016, 23:50

ok, ur work-around seems valid though includes the necessity to click on a certain spot.
here's my idea for a hassle free navigation without unnecessary mouse movement.
(see bottom link)

1. hide .. in settings
to increase the panel view

2. remapped the middle mouse button to navigate upwards (towards the root)
reason: I found myself often scrolling the mouse wheel up and down just to find a blank space to double click on.

side note:
as you know, the standard behavior for that in windows explorer is to use the left mouse button via double click.
why another option was added to do exactly the same thing with the middle mouse, I dunno.

3. path selection in the address panel works now as in standard windows explorer with a sole click
(middle mouse also works for the reluctant user)

give it a try here:
FCFix.7z
MD-5: BAF3693024989890A49F03901C890AC0

alf5000

#4 Post by alf5000 » 16.05.2016, 13:50

and again I'm not too sure whether I understand your problem correctly - but perhaps you might read this: http://www.forum.freecommander.com/view ... 919#p20919
(win10pro x64) - (latest FCXE x64 portable)

Dreamer
Site Admin

#5 Post by Dreamer » 16.05.2016, 23:14

alf5000 - you are right, I'm not using this often, usually I'm using middle button.

BTW there is another feature, if you click the left part of the the lower part, it works are a link, so the path is changed to the selected folder.

NumberOne

#6 Post by NumberOne » 18.05.2016, 00:25

alf5000 wrote:and again I'm not too sure whether I understand your problem correctly
did you actually read my opening post?

the problem is that FreeCommander in fact abuses the middle mouse button!
if you don't understand what I mean, open up FireFox, Chrome, Internet Explorer or another Windows program like Windows Explorer.

Now click on the address bar, which mouse button did you just use?
Correct! a single left mouse button click.

This is the norm in Windows and recommended by MicroSoft (the company which bought DOS from a computer club) and the expected way of accessing a address bar in Windows.

now try to access the address bar in FreeCommander. The control is called TfcAddressPanel1/2 after clicking the damn middle mouse button TfcPathEdit1/2 becomes active and you may enter your path or whatever you like.

now use the middle mouse when hovering the mouse over a folder in FreeCommander.
notice what happens. now do the same in windows explorer. compare the results or read my former postings.

Dreamer
Site Admin

#7 Post by Dreamer » 18.05.2016, 00:55

Sorry, but now I don't understand, you CAN "edit address bar via single LM click", you just need to use the upper half of the address bar.