Freezes on Large File Move Between Local Drives

Bugs and issues - current donor version.
BGM

Freezes on Large File Move Between Local Drives

#1 Post by BGM » 13.10.2016, 04:43

Today I am moving files from one drive to another. The drives are separate HDDs - one is NTFS and the other is formated exFAT, both drives attached via USB3.
I am trying to move collections of files adding up to 100GB to 800GB at a time.

When I do so, FC freezes (it ghosts white) whilst the move dialogue figures itself out.

Now, I also have the same problem between the same two disks when I push the "Compare Drives" button.
FC freezes up (ghosts white) and is entirely unresponsive. I have waited for nearly two minutes. It *did* finally work, though, and successfully showed me which files were different in the folder panes.
This is worse than the Move Operation.

Maybe it has to do with the drive formats?

At the least, I wish I could just push the escape key and stop the comparison operation.
(Windows 10-1909 Professional 64bit)

Dreamer
Site Admin

Re: Freezes on Large File Move Between Local Drives

#2 Post by Dreamer » 14.10.2016, 19:00

• Try to reproduce a bug with default settings and without plugins. To do this use these command line parameters (your old settings file will be preserved):

/N /NewIni=FreeCommanderTest.ini /NoPlugins /Lng=English

Then you can try to use the FC file operation for copy/move, or "Use Vista method for not local drives (may be faster"), or/and "Perform operation using unbuffered I/O (recommended for very large file transfers)" (third "Settings" tab of Copy dialog). You can try also the Queue feature.