Issues with Green/Red on network shares

Bugs and issues - current donor version.
kevmeist

Issues with Green/Red on network shares

#1 Post by kevmeist » 12.10.2016, 14:49

XE 2016 Build 729 Donor here

I recently decommissioned my Windows Home Server and installed an ASUSTOR AS6204T NAS box.

With the logically mapped drives showing up top on the FC screen, I sometimes see those icons as RED even though I can still move around those drives and see the files there.

Currently, I see my desktop (Win7) showing all drives as GREEN but my laptop (Win10) showing them as RED even though I can still see the files on those network drives.

Both PCs are wired CAT6 connections (desktop to my 8 port Gb switch) and the laptop directly to the 4 port GB router. Of course. the router and switch are wired CAT6 to each other also. I did try the laptop on the switch also, but made no difference (I would have expected this though).

I closed FC on the laptop and restarted it...the drives icons all went GREEN except one of them. I can still see the files on that RED drive via the laptop (and the desktop). I closed FC again and restarted it...now all drives show GREEN[/color].

So, when does FC look at the connections and change those drive connections icon colors????

Any thoughts?

Regards,

K

kevmeist

Re: Issues with Green/Red on network shares

#2 Post by kevmeist » 28.10.2016, 13:34

Is Marek or anyone else looking at this question??????

joby_toss

#3 Post by joby_toss » 28.10.2016, 18:29

I see it but have no idea what to say... You have such a specific hardware settings that it is hard to replicate and test...
But why does the color matter so much for you if you can access the files?

kevmeist

#4 Post by kevmeist » 28.10.2016, 22:48

I guess it is an old retired software developer's curiosity about "why". I understand the difficulty of testing this at your end.

I was hoping that someone who knew the code would be able to tell me "when" the flag changes from RED to GREEN and at what frequency?

In other words...does Windows notify FC when a drive/share is online?

Does FC check every x seconds to see whether a drive/share is online?

Thanks,

K

Marek
Author
Author

#5 Post by Marek » 29.10.2016, 20:00

Windows should notify FC when drive/share changes. In that case should be the notification with SHCNE_UPDATEIMAGE.
With Shift+Ctrl+R (Refresh all) should be possible to refresh drive icons.

kevmeist

#6 Post by kevmeist » 30.10.2016, 00:06

OK, let me try that next time I see this happen....however, I think I have already done this and still saw icons being marked red. I will confirm or not when I test it again.

UPDATE1
I tried a few tests this morning and drives showed GREEN...typical..LOL
I will keep an eye further and re-post.

UPDATE2
Tried another test this afternoon and all showed up as GREEN again. Seems like a timing issue as to when open FC to me. I'll keep trying......

Thanks,

Kevin

kevmeist

#7 Post by kevmeist » 02.11.2016, 13:29

UPDATE3
OK, I observed it again this morning (all shares were RED) when I woke the NAS up (sleeps overnight).

Ctrl/Shift/R did NOT refresh all of the NAS shares in FC all at the same time (which I have observed working before) but if I select a single drive and do the Ctrl/Shift/R refreshes the status of a single share and then shows GREEN.

Shares mapped to T, U, V and W were refreshed "singly" (after clicking the icon and doing a Ctrl/Shift/R on that single share).

When doing the Ctrl/Shift/R, shouldn't FC check the status of ALL the shares?

I would have posted 2 screenshots are attached (one from FC and one from Windows File Explorer showing the same GREEN/RED mix of the icons). But, see no way in this post of "attaching" those screenshots. Is this something that the moderator has to allow me to do?

UPDATE4
I have just observed this again this morning. Most shares were GREEN but 2 of them were RED. Ctrl/Shift/R without a specific drive being selected did nothing visually. Selecting a specific RED drive and doing the Ctrl/Shift/R shifted the state to GREEN. Windows/My Computer view shows the same (both before and after doing the Ctrl/Shift/R selections).

UPDATE5
Just tried this again when this time Ctrl/Shift/R (with no drive selected) refreshed all RED icons to GREEN.

Thanks,

Kevin

kevmeist

#8 Post by kevmeist » 08.11.2016, 13:47

However I look at this....FC seems to NOT work the same way with Ctrl/Shift/R ALL of the time!

Anyone listening????????