Inconsistent Show/Hide For Some Windows/Microsoft Folders

Bugs and issues.
thisguycecil

Inconsistent Show/Hide For Some Windows/Microsoft Folders

#1 Post by thisguycecil » 09.02.2017, 23:28

Hello.

I am running FCXE x64 v741 in a Win10 x64 environment.

My default setup for the native Windows Explorer file manager contains these options, via Folder Options | View | Advanced Settings:
-- enabled: "Show hidden files. folders, and drives"
-- enabled: "Hide protected operating system files"

That action allows the following folder to appear in Windows Explorer, in _both_ the tree and file panes:
C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\

However, in FCXE64 I cannot recreate the same setup. The "Microsoft" subfolder appears in the tree pane just fine, but it is not listed in the file pane when the address bar shows the path to its parent Roaming folder.

My FCXE64 settings, via Settings | View | File/Folder List | General are:
-- enabled: "Show hidden files"
-- disabled: "Show system files"

The odd thing is that if the FCXE64 setting for ""Show system files" is instead enabled, then the Microsoft subfolder does appear in the file pane. Why I do I think it's odd? Because this enabled setting overrides the native Windows setting for "Hide protected operating system files". System objects like the "System Volume Information" folder, and "$Recycle.bin", all get revealed as well.

In short, to get that target Microsoft subfolder to show in FCXE64's file pane one has to change the settings to effectively show everything, including hidden OS files. Whereas in the native Windows Explorer that additional setting change is not necessary. To me, that is odd behaviour.

For a variety of admin purposes I am frequently in the \AppData\Roaming\Microsoft subfolder. That's why I am posting.

Can anyone reproduce my problem?

[P.S. -- I just reproduced the problem with FCXE64 on a Win7 x64 box too.]

alf5000

Re: Inconsistent Show/Hide For Some Windows/Microsoft Folder

#2 Post by alf5000 » 10.02.2017, 11:26

on my machine the 'Microsoft' folder has attribute 's' (system)

so Microsoft-folder won't show up if the settings are:
My FCXE64 settings, via Settings | View | File/Folder List | General are:
-- enabled: "Show hidden files"
-- disabled: "Show system files"
(win10pro x64) - (latest FCXE x64 portable)

ralfso

#3 Post by ralfso » 10.02.2017, 13:03

Windows explorer view settings are for Windows explorer and FreeCommander view settings are for FreeCommander.

FreeCommander has two possible view settings for hidden/system-files/folders:

one for the tree: settings > tree > management: show hidden folders
one for the file/folder list: settings > file/folder list > general: show hidden files (&folders) & show system files (&folders)

So you can activate or deactivate the attributes H and S separately for tree and file list.

You also can get quick access to this settings by rightclick on statusbar (the part with objects info, not the free space of the statusbar).
Regards
Ralf

Win10 (64-bit), Intel i7-2600 (3,4 GHz), 8 GB Ram, 500 GB SSD, 2x2000 GB HD, NVIDIA GeForce 545

thisguycecil

#4 Post by thisguycecil » 14.02.2017, 23:39

Thanks to all for your replies so far.

I am aware of the different methods in FCXE for toggling the views for hidden and system files in both the tree and file panes. I guess what I am really trying to say is just that it seems the FCXE implementation of these actions differs slightly from the native Windows one. Hence, what I see as an inconsistency.

Perhaps I will try to set up a workaround, by creating a custom layout where that target Microsoft system folder is in a separate tab, with the FCXE setting to view system files toggled on just for that one tab.