'New Text File' command - suggestion

Discussion and questions - donor version.
sdaughtry

'New Text File' command - suggestion

#1 Post by sdaughtry » 24.10.2017, 02:14

The 'New Text File' command when executed currently displays a modal window to enter a filename; once a filename is typed and the OK button is clicked the file is saved into the panel's active folder.

I humbly request two features be added this useful command:

1. Standardize the default filename (e.g. Info.Txt) so the popup modal window is already populated with a predefined filename
2. When the OK button is clicked the newly created text file is automatically opened by application associated with the file extension

Thank you!
Scott

BGM

Re: 'New Text File' command - suggestion

#2 Post by BGM » 24.10.2017, 03:18

If you add a standardized name, I think it should be an option - I like to name it at creation time just like it is now.

However, the second option is already the case. When I create a new file, test.txt, it is automatically opened in notepad (my default).
(Windows 10-1909 Professional 64bit)

sdaughtry

#3 Post by sdaughtry » 24.10.2017, 04:43

Hi BGM - on my Windows 10 box running the latest FC build (761) after I type a filename into the modal window and press OK control is returned back to FC - the file is not opened. Is there a configuration setting that I am missing someone to automatically open the file?

Dreamer
Site Admin

#4 Post by Dreamer » 24.10.2017, 18:24

You can focus any file, then create new file, use down arrow key to use the focused file as new name, or click down arrow key again to use current date and again, to use current date and time.

I'm not sure if there is any option to create new name and automatically open it, but if using keyboard, you can assign a hotkey for New file, then type a name, press Enter twice to create file and open.

Perhaps you could explain exactly what you need, some real example, if you need to create multiple files, then I could help you.

BGM

#5 Post by BGM » 24.10.2017, 21:25

Ah, maybe you need the setting for it...

Go to Settings > Programs > Editors
and set your program for text files. I have notepad3 set to open * because I like doing that.

Also, I have it set in Settings > Programs > Viewers to be the viewer for %ActivItem%

I'm not sure if those settings have to do with this, however.
However, you MIGHT need to use the right command. I have a button in my splitter bar called: "Opens the file editor to edit a new file (Shift+F4)" This button will open the file after you choose the name.
Note that there is *another* button called "Edit new; Opens the file editor to edit a new file" - but it is different.

But to recap, this is how it works for me in Windows 7:

1. Click the new file button (the naming dialogue opens)
2. Enter the name and push okay
3. The file is created and immediately opens in the editor.
Attachments
screenshot_FreeCommander_029.png
screenshot_FreeCommander_029.png (4.43 KiB) Viewed 10874 times

Dreamer
Site Admin

#6 Post by Dreamer » 24.10.2017, 22:20

I found only that "other" option "Edit new; Opens the file editor to edit a new file", default shortcut is Shift+F4, but it works. The only problem is, that it's created without extension, if you type only file name, so you must type also ".txt".

BGM

#7 Post by BGM » 24.10.2017, 22:39

Yes, you have to type the extension. That is actually handy for me, since I create all sorts of empty text files such as .ahk, .bat, .css, .html, .txt, .js, etc.

However, it ONLY creates text files. You can't create a new excel file this way, even though you can create a new file with an .xlsx extension. (unless you create a .csv file that could open in excel...)

sdaughtry

#8 Post by sdaughtry » 25.10.2017, 05:44

Dreamer,

You are correct - I somehow skipped over that command when selecting Splitter Bar buttons!! I would still like the option to pre-configure a file name so the popup modal window's entry field already contains a valid file name so all I have to do is smack the Enter key to start working on the file!! Thank you for the nudge in right direction!

Cheers,
Scott
Dreamer wrote: 24.10.2017, 22:20 I found only that "other" option "Edit new; Opens the file editor to edit a new file", default shortcut is Shift+F4, but it works. The only problem is, that it's created without extension, if you type only file name, so you must type also ".txt".

afh

#9 Post by afh » 25.10.2017, 16:36

For Edit new file, my suggestion would be the encoding of text file to be UTF-8