REQUEST: "Title" or "Text" item for toolbars

Discussion and questions - donor version.
spamspambaconspam

REQUEST: "Title" or "Text" item for toolbars

#1 Post by spamspambaconspam » 10.10.2018, 18:28

I have a bunch of toolbars.

Each toolbar has a defined purpose; all of the items on a single toolbar are somehow related to each other.

I wanted to ID each toolbar in a way that was always visible, not just when I was modifying them.

So I took a toolbar item I'll never use and modded it to act as a "Title" for the toolbar.
(Samples below)

I was wondering if you could perhaps supply two new toolbar items:

1. a "text" item that can be used for simply holding text
2. a "blank" toolbar item... this would be used like a spacer, but would not be recessed and it would be the same width as the other buttons. (Or half-width)
Spacers are cool, but they get visually lost because they are so thin. I've tried putting a bunch of spacers next to each other, but it looks weird because each is visible as a recessed vertical line... like the toolbar has teeth :)

Cheers,

~Spammy

ralfso

Re: REQUEST: "Title" or "Text" item for toolbars

#2 Post by ralfso » 10.10.2018, 19:50

You have it already:
Create a new item and give it a name, no link to a program or file and no icon.
>>> the name is displayed instead of the icon. 4 or 5 letters are displayed in the upper row of the iconplace. If you type "1234 5678" two rows of text are displayed.

You can also create icons with single big letters with an icon editor (or download some) and set this icons for the item.
https://www.google.com/search?q=icons+letters

If you want spacers, you can use buttons for e.g. notepad.exe and set a blank (transparent) icon for this button
https://www.iconspedia.com/icon/blank-icon-44576.html
Regards
Ralf

Win10 (64-bit), Intel i7-2600 (3,4 GHz), 8 GB Ram, 500 GB SSD, 2x2000 GB HD, NVIDIA GeForce 545

spamspambaconspam

#3 Post by spamspambaconspam » 05.11.2018, 17:28

ralfso wrote: 10.10.2018, 19:50 You have it already:
Create a new item and give it a name, no link to a program or file and no icon.
>>> the name is displayed instead of the icon. 4 or 5 letters are displayed in the upper row of the iconplace. If you type "1234 5678" two rows of text are displayed.
Actually, no, no and....no.

1. I "don't have it already." I can create a workaround, but a workaround is not the same as having the feature available.

The difference is this: the workaround takes a regular action button and basically strips it of the ability to act.
By doing this, you get a button that's greyed out/dimmed.
If I had a regular "text" button, it would not be greyed out.

2. There is no ability to have more than 1 row of text. Although I did not ask for it, it does sound like it would be handy.
Regardless, I have tried every which way to force a second row of characters, and it doesn't work.
I tried adding a simple space, inserting a "\n" and a "\t", inserting both "ALT+ENTER" and "CTRL+ENTER" keystrokes, etc.
Nothing worked.

3. Adding an "empty" icon doesn't create a "spacer that's wider than the one currently available." It creates a blank button that's just as wide as the other buttons.
When I say "spacer", I mean something that's maybe 1/4, 1/3 or 1/2 the width of the other normal buttons.
If you think that having no icon would work, you still have the text. If you try to delete the text, FC adds it back in.
So you are stuck with either a blank icon or at least 1 character, and again, both of these create a button that's just as wide as the others.

While I appreciate your reply, I was posting my request with the hopes that I wouldn't need to use a workaround.

A girl can dream....

Cheers,

~spammy

Marek
Author
Author

#4 Post by Marek » 12.11.2018, 21:23

Text label is now possible (release 787) for favorite toolbar.