Filter Off / Quick Filter Off creates misleading setting

Discussion, questions and support.
Forez

Filter Off / Quick Filter Off creates misleading setting

#1 Post by Forez » 13.03.2019, 00:50

There is this Filter Off option available under the FC context menu [hidden in Filter]. It is also available under Commands as an icon for he Splitter. The Splitter can also bare Quick Filter Off icon

And here are three things about them I do not understand:

1] If I activate some predefined by me Quick Filter, then both of these options turn it off. If there is a difference, why does Quick Filter reacts to a mere Filter Off and not exclusively to Quick Filter Off?

2] If the Filter is off then why does not the Off icon become indicated as being active [with a predefined by me background color]? The filtering is off indeed, but the filtering expression is still shown in the Quick Filter Box- and so the Quick Filter Box tells me I am filtering and yet I do not see a filtered items [but all of them]

3] Why is not there an icon for Quick Filter Removal [Wiping, Clean Up or Whatever-You-Wanna-Call-It], that would remove data from the Quick Filter thus also turn it off?

These three motions go along together with my previous pointing out of possible improvements to the Quick Filter: https://freecommander.com/forum/viewtop ... =20&t=8700

Forez

Re: Filter Off / Quick Filter Off creates misleading setting

#3 Post by Forez » 14.03.2019, 00:48

Karol wrote: 13.03.2019, 22:45 You know the option 'Action "Filter off" deactivates quick filter too'?
If I am not mistaken, this takes care only of the issue #1 from my inquire

The remaining behavior is still the same

Forez

Re: Filter Off / Quick Filter Off creates misleading setting

#4 Post by Forez » 08.11.2019, 16:07

Forez wrote: 13.03.2019, 00:50 [...]
2] If the Filter is off then why does not the Off icon become indicated as being active [with a predefined by me background color]? The filtering is off indeed, but the filtering expression is still shown in the Quick Filter Box- and so the Quick Filter Box tells me I am filtering and yet I do not see a filtered items [but all of them]
[...]
This is simply a bug

If I have such filtering expression still in the Quick Filter Box after turning off that filter, but then switch in that Panel to some other Tab- then the data from the Box is replaced with a new filtering expression from that new Tab. And it can be both data or lack of data. But no matter what was put in the Quick Filter Box when I was viewing that other Tab, when I go back to the original one I will see the Box being empty [having no data]. Because the data there was deleted because I turned off Quick Filter back then when I was still viewing the first Tab before switching to that second one

So it is a bug: the data gets deleted but with a delay and only when another Tab takes control over the Quick Filter Box

And this [i.e. deletion] is the indented behavior, because user can have a different filtering data put in the Quick Filter Box of every Tab- and that data sticks to a given Tab [until the Quick Filter will be turned off] , no matter how many switches between Tabs the user performs