Using FreeCommander from the command line?

Discussion and questions - donor version.
zbernie

Using FreeCommander from the command line?

#1 Post by zbernie » 23.02.2020, 06:19

In my photo editor Photo Studio I have a hotkey assigned which opens the current photo file in FreeCommander:

C:\Program Files\FreeCommander XE\FreeCommander.exe

This displays the file in a new instance of FC. Is it possible to have the file displayed in the currently running instance of FC?

-Thanks

zbernie

Re: Using FreeCommander from the command line?

#3 Post by zbernie » 24.02.2020, 03:55

If I add the /C like:

C:\Program Files\FreeCommander XE\FreeCommander.exe /C

It doesn't load the photo in the running instance of FC. If I remove the /C, it shows the photo in a new instance of FC.

Any ideas?

-Thanks

dsperber

#4 Post by dsperber » 24.02.2020, 22:06

No idea if it applies to your situation, but I have a similar situation in my EMAIL client program (a 3rd-party product named Agent, from Forte). There is a way to override standard Windows default programs when launching an email attachment, allowing the user to specify the command-line to be invoked.

In this case it is necessary to supply quotation marks around the passed-parameter (perhaps to handle imbedded spaces in the file name of the attachment?).

For example, what I have in my override for presenting JPG image attachments using the ACDSee.exe program is:

C:\Program Files (x86)\ACD Systems\ACDSee\ACDSee.exe "%1"

Perhaps you also need to add "%1" at the very end of your own FCXE command which now also includes that /C operand?

(Don't hold me to the validity of this thought. I'm just observing. Could be completey irrelevant.)

zbernie

#5 Post by zbernie » 24.02.2020, 22:28

dsperber wrote: 24.02.2020, 22:06 No idea if it applies to your situation, but I have a similar situation in my EMAIL client program (a 3rd-party product named Agent, from Forte). There is a way to override standard Windows default programs when launching an email attachment, allowing the user to specify the command-line to be invoked.

In this case it is necessary to supply quotation marks around the passed-parameter (perhaps to handle imbedded spaces in the file name of the attachment?).

For example, what I have in my override for presenting JPG image attachments using the ACDSee.exe program is:

C:\Program Files (x86)\ACD Systems\ACDSee\ACDSee.exe "%1"

Perhaps you also need to add "%1" at the very end of your own FCXE command which now also includes that /C operand?

(Don't hold me to the validity of this thought. I'm just observing. Could be completey irrelevant.)

I'm actually in ACDSee Photo Studio configuring the editors. One of the sorely missing features is the ability to display a photo in the file system. As a workaround you can configure an "Editor" do to this. It works without the /C, but when I add the /C, it does nothing. I tried various quoting, and still nothing. I did confirm that FreeCommander works as expected by running the command below in a CMD prompt. I'll have to contact ACDSEE support and see if they can provide an answer.

"C:\Program Files\FreeCommander XE\FreeCommander.exe" /C C:\Users\bernie\Pictures\attachment.jpg

-Thanks

Marek
Author
Author

#6 Post by Marek » 24.02.2020, 22:48

"C:\Program Files\FreeCommander XE\FreeCommander.exe" /C C:\Users\bernie\Pictures\attachment.jpg
Try
"C:\Program Files\FreeCommander XE\FreeCommander.exe" /C /L=C:\Users\bernie\Pictures\attachment.jpg
or
"C:\Program Files\FreeCommander XE\FreeCommander.exe" /C /R=C:\Users\bernie\Pictures\attachment.jpg
or
"C:\Program Files\FreeCommander XE\FreeCommander.exe" -C -R="C:\Users\bernie\Pictures\attachment.jpg"

zbernie

#7 Post by zbernie » 25.02.2020, 03:10

Marek wrote: 24.02.2020, 22:48
Try
"C:\Program Files\FreeCommander XE\FreeCommander.exe" /C /L=C:\Users\bernie\Pictures\attachment.jpg
or
"C:\Program Files\FreeCommander XE\FreeCommander.exe" /C /R=C:\Users\bernie\Pictures\attachment.jpg
or
"C:\Program Files\FreeCommander XE\FreeCommander.exe" -C -R="C:\Users\bernie\Pictures\attachment.jpg"
When in Photo Studio viewing photos, I press alt-v which allows me to view the file in FreeCommander. If I add anything after the FreeCommander.exe, it does nothing. Noting wrong with FC mind you! Photo Studio is choking on the command. As I said, it should have this ability built-in, instead of having to rely on a hack. I can still open a photo in FC, it just opens a new instance. Thanks for you help with this.