How to prevent rename from being activated when selecting?

Discussion, questions and support.
Bearded Kirklander

How to prevent rename from being activated when selecting?

#1 Post by Bearded Kirklander » 10.09.2008, 23:38

I am finding that sometimes when I click on a file name in one of the panes, it automatically goes into "RENAME" mode, as if I had pressed the F2 key.

It seems to happen frequently on this laptop I'm working with right now, but it still does crop up on my desktops when using a regular mouse.

Would someone please indicate to me how to prevent this from happening?

Thank you,

BK

Dreamer
Site Admin

#2 Post by Dreamer » 11.09.2008, 02:42

I think I have suggested option to disable this behaviour, but I can't find it.

I know just one way to disable it - enable options to open files/folder with single click, but I don't think it will help to you.

FrizzleFry

#3 Post by FrizzleFry » 11.09.2008, 08:34

I have noticed this also in the last version. For me it happens when I click on the focused/selected item in the inactive pane. I enabled use dialog window for rename (Settings, Confirmations) and it is not annoying me as much now.

Bearded Kirklander

#4 Post by Bearded Kirklander » 11.09.2008, 12:41

I too am not sure what setting to try in order to prevent this.

I have come to rely heavily on the Multi-Rename feature. Where if I'm at the "go up one level" like (the arrow and dot dot) I can simply press F2 and all the files will be selected. I have a 2 digit counter set as default in the multi-rename dialog, so all I have to do is click the rename button and all my audiobook or old-time radio files are renamed from 01 to 99 in the blink of an eye. Seldom do I have to go to three digits. The older Samsung MP3 player I make use of is folder and file-named based and not tag-based, and for that player, this feature works perfectly.

I hope we can find an answer as to what settings may exist in the current program to help avoid the behavior, or at least provide enough data so that Marek can provide us with one.

This program is so close to being completely awesome that I do wish these few remaining quirks could be corrected, the code given that final polish and then released so that I can spread the word on how no other app comes close to the combination of features and behaviors that Free Commander does.

clanman

#5 Post by clanman » 09.12.2008, 22:16

I have found that if you activate hot track (Settings->Select Items) then F2 must be used to start a rename process.

Perhaps this might help.
Regards

Clanman
Using FreeCommander XE 2022 Build 860 32-bit public on Windows 11

Bearded Kirklander

#6 Post by Bearded Kirklander » 09.12.2008, 22:32

clanman wrote:I have found that if you activate hot track (Settings->Select Items) then F2 must be used to start a rename process.

Perhaps this might help.
Thank you very much for the reply! I do appreciate it.

And your tip does seem to do the job just fine!

I did not even know about "Hot Track". I must say though, it is a neat little feature. Helps me to confirm just which file I'm working with before I actually try dragging, dropping or double-clicking.

I wonder if he could do something similar for Folders? I see a Feature Request in my future...

Thanks again for taking the time. :)

clanman

#7 Post by clanman » 10.12.2008, 22:21

My pleasure Bearded and have a Merry Christmas.
Regards

Clanman
Using FreeCommander XE 2022 Build 860 32-bit public on Windows 11

Bearded Kirklander

#8 Post by Bearded Kirklander » 10.12.2008, 23:52

You as well. :)

Wasabi

#9 Post by Wasabi » 13.12.2008, 02:29

clanman wrote:I have found that if you activate hot track (Settings->Select Items) then F2 must be used to start a rename process.

Perhaps this might help.

I haven't had any problems with accidentally activating rename mode, but that hot tracking is a wonderful feature that I never knew about.

Vista Aero's pale pastel blue color that shows you which file is highlighted is almost impossible to see unless I muck up my monitor settings. This solves a completely different problem that I was resigned to being stuck with.

Thanks! :D

Bearded Kirklander

#10 Post by Bearded Kirklander » 13.12.2008, 08:40

Wasabi wrote:

Perhaps this might help.

I haven't had any problems with accidentally activating rename mode, but that hot tracking is a wonderful feature that I never knew about.

Vista Aero's pale pastel blue color that shows you which file is highlighted is almost impossible to see unless I muck up my monitor settings. This solves a completely different problem that I was resigned to being stuck with.

Thanks! :D
Free Commander does things a bit differently in Windows XP than in Vista, if I remember right, so that may be part of the reason for differing results.